John Deere 4450 7.6L Overhaul pictures

wwillson

Staff member
We overhauled the engine our JD 4450 because of oil consumption and blow-by. The engine has 8,800 hours, which is a lot of hours for an ag tractor engine without being overhauled. The engine is rated at 158 HP and has not been modified in any way.

The oil consumption and blow-by was caused by bore polishing. The cause of bore polishing is a complex topic but it's fair to say in this case the polishing was mostly caused by carbon deposits on the ring lands. The worst build-up was on the ring land between the compression rings, but there was some build-up between the second compression ring and the oil control ring and some above the first compression ring.

The original Schwitzer turbo had too much shaft end-play and was replaced. No parts are available for this Schwitzer turbo, so we replaced it with a new Garrett turbo. The fuel injectors were all rebuilt. The overhaul included all new liners, pistons, bearings, and clutch. All measurements of the head were within spec, so the head had no work done. The rear tires were also just replaced at a cost of $2000 each. The total cost for the engine overhaul was around $10,000.

John Deere 4450

Completed overhaul

New Turbo

New Injectors

Looking into the removed liner from the bottom. All liners had severe polishing. In the ring swept area there are no cross-hatches left and the surface has linear scratches and is polished to a nearly mirror finish.

Close up of the boundary of the ring swept area and the area at the bottom of the liner that is only swept by the piston skirt. There is a slight ridge worn at the boundary. There is a considerable ridge at the top of the liner, but the ridge didn't need to be removed to remove the pistons during disassembly.

Carbon deposit build-up on the ring lands and above the top compression ring.

Very robust wrist pin.

Piston bowl and valve cut-outs.

Oil control ring drain holes and another good shot of the deposits on the ring lands.

Oil drain holes

Dimensional shots of the pistons. Notice the skirts are over 1/4" thick and are almost full length skirts. The piston assembly with rings and wrist pin weighs 6.6 pounds!

The bearings were worn and definitely needed to be replaced.

Last edited:
Have you owned the tractor since new? Does it do a lot of idling or low-load work?

I agree with the diagnosis of the carbon in the rings. 8,800 hrs seems premature for a 50 series compared to my own experience with them, but I have seen plenty listed for sale with fewer hours and “fresh engine” noted. Probably depends on many factors.

We had a 4250, 4650, and a 4955 that were all running strong with well over 10,000 hrs on the engines. The 4650 is approaching 20,000 hrs since it’s first overhaul (which was due to previous owners use of starting fluid).

Have you owned the tractor since new?

8,800 hrs seems premature for a 50 series that was well cared for, but I have seen plenty listed for sale with fewer hours and “fresh engine” noted. Probably depends on many factors.
No and we don't know how it was used nor which oil was used. We've owned it since about 5,000 hours.

The new engine will be getting HPL 15w-40 Cold Climate after about 50 hours of break-in.

We had a 4250, 4650, and a 4955 that were all running strong with well over 10,000 hrs on the engines. The 4650 is approaching 20,000 hrs since it’s first overhaul (which was due to previous owners use of starting fluid).
I'll bet you don't pull implements that are too large and keep the engines at 100% HP for days on end. You are getting your money out of these tractors! Don't abuse them and they will last.

You had an ether-baby! What damage did the engine have?

I think the most hours between overhaul we've managed is about 11,000.

I've been told that the new tractors with engines that are getting 2 or 3 times as much power out of the same displacement, will not last. In these new tractors, engine overhauls at 3,500 hours is not uncommon.

Last edited:
No and we don't know how it was used nor which oil was used. We've owned it since about 5,000 hours.

The new engine will be getting HPL 15w-40 Cold Climate after about 50 hours of break-in.

I'll bet you don't pull implements that are too large and keep the engines at 100% HP for days on end. You are getting your money out of these tractors! Don't abuse them and they will last.

I've been told that the new tractors with engines that are getting 2 or 3 times as much power out of the same displacement, will not last. In these new tractors, engine overhauls at 3,500 hours is not uncommon.
3500 hours? That is crazy to me. I know of 6.0 gassers in cop cars and trucks that don't need it until 20,000 hours. Granted they are not doing the same amount of work, but that number blows my mind. My Truck and Caprice are at about 2800 hours each.

I think this is how things are going even in the over the road semi market. It is amazing how many rigs you see with less than 750K miles and notes an engine overhaul. It's kind of like racing, we can make more HP out of the same engine, but the longevity is going to suffer.

Just my $0.02

3500 hours? That is crazy to me. I know of 6.0 gassers in cop cars and trucks that don't need it until 20,000 hours. Granted they are not doing the same amount of work, but that number blows my mind. My Truck and Caprice are at about 2800 hours each.
The JD 7R 270 has a 6.8L that is rated for 270HP and has a intermittent rating of 297HP. That's 39.7 HP/liter, while the engine we overhauled is rated at 20.7 HP/liter. Yes, there are design differences in the engines to remove heat, but 2x the power/liter and the shorter engine life is highly correlated to heat.

My Chevy 6.6L L5P is 67.5HP/liter, which is a perfect recipe for short engine life if you use it.

Last edited:

You had an ether-baby! What damage did the engine have?

I think the most hours between overhaul we've managed is about 11,000.

I suspect a low quality oil was used early in its life, but it is also possible the rings never seated correctly in the first place. That was a common problem on the 50-55 series. I know one guy that got his 4955 overhauled under warranty due to oil consumption. John Deere makes a break-in oil. I highly recommend running it for a full 100 hrs.

The three tractors I mentioned were used for spreading manure, tillage, mowing, etc. quite a variety of work but not 100% all the time to your point. The 4650 got most of its hours running a huge TMR mixer and running a 15’ mower. We always used good oil and a fuel conditioner.

As for the ether damage, we bought the 4650 cheap with a dead cylinder. It had a bent valve and also a bent crankshaft. It was an expensive overhaul 20 years ago, but has turned out to very a very cheap tractor because it has lasted so long.

I’ve seen this happening for years. Cat 3412 for example. Started out at 350-400 kW and would last forever. They kept adding turbos and coolers and got em up to 1000 kW. The early ones with the single turbo lasted seemingly forever.

I suspect a low quality oil was used early in its life, but it is also possible the rings never seated correctly in the first place. That was a common problem on the 50-55 series. I know one guy that got his 4955 overhauled under warranty due to oil consumption. John Deere makes a break-in oil. I highly recommend running it for a full 100 hrs.
That is part of the risk of buying used machinery, but the cost of new is so incredibly high it's prohibitive. We could sell this 4450 today for more than it cost new 25 years ago. Many older tractors are now worth more than they cost new.

The pistons and liners are after market, not JD, from a reputable manufacturer. We'll see :)

Last edited:
That is part of the risk of buy used machinery, but the cost of new is so incredibly high it's prohibitive. We could sell this 4450 today for more than it cost new 25 years ago. Many older tractors are now worth more than they cost new.

The pistons and liners are after market, not JD, from a reputable manufacturer. We'll see :)
It is certainly a nice looking tractor for its age, I like the 60 series step. Is it a quad range or powershift?

That’s a nice tractor you got there Wayne. Love a good ole John Deere. Great thread so far too. 👍. I’ve worked on a lot of tractors mostly New Holland though as that’s what my farmer friend has.

Back