PHEV Change Intervals?

This has probably been discussed here before, but the search feature on this site isn't the best. Last week I purchased a Ford C-Max Energi PHEV. It goes 20 miles on a charge, which covers five of my weekdays, Based upon my limited experience and driving habits, it may run two thirds of the time in EV mode. That would imply that after 10,000 miles on the vehicle I would have only 3333 miles on the ICE. 20,000 miles on the vehicle would still be pretty tame in terms of miles on the ICE, but also pushing 18 months of use in my case.

It was last changed by a Ford dealer and the windshield sticker says it has close to 5000 miles to go. That's relatively meaningless. UOAs are not really useful under these circumstances, but I may just change it after a few thousand miles next spring.

So what are your thoughts? I will be using M1 0w-20 EP and a Fram XG3614 if that helps.

What does manual say? I have posted UOAs from 2014 Chevy Volt which says 15k miles or 2 years and 2018 Outlander Phev, which says 7500 miles and 6 months. Both showed oil dilution with fuel, but not bad wear numbers.(Outlander dilutes more and uses engine more often than Volt. Both UOAs done were due to time limit not miles). I would follow manual, do UOA and start from there.

What does manual say? I have posted UOAs from 2014 Chevy Volt which says 15k miles or 2 years and 2018 Outlander Phev, which says 7500 miles and 6 months. Both showed oil dilution with fuel, but not bad wear numbers.(Outlander dilutes more and uses engine more often than Volt. Both UOAs done were due to time limit not miles). I would follow manual, do UOA and start from there.
Unfortunately I purchased this vehicle used and it did not come with a printed owner's manual. What I've read online is a little vague and it doesn't adapt to driving habits. My initial thoughts are that a 10K OCI is a no brainer, but a 20k or 18 month OCI might not do any harm either.

I purchased it with 52,200 on the clock. The plan is to change it around 55K on one of those abnormally warm days in early March and go from there. I'll make a guess on where to go from this based upon what the drain oil looks like. At the moment what I wipe from the dipstick looks like virgin oil.

Unfortunately I purchased this vehicle used and it did not come with a printed owner's manual. What I've read online is a little vague and it doesn't adapt to driving habits. My initial thoughts are that a 10K OCI is a no brainer, but a 20k or 18 month OCI might not do any harm either.

I purchased it with 52,200 on the clock. The plan is to change it around 55K on one of those abnormally warm days in early March and go from there. I'll make a guess on where to go from this based upon what the drain oil looks like. At the moment what I wipe from the dipstick looks like virgin oil.
You can download copy from ford website. Not sure what year you have(can’t see signature on cell phone if it is listed there). I pulled manual for 2015 for example. For hybrid is says 10k or 1 year. For phev it says just look for light to light up. So I would think 10k/1 year is safe point to start. Desert/dusty roads- every 5k.

Most of the manual appears to be written around the standard C-Max hybrid as opposed the the C-Max Enegi PHEV. As such there are multiple references to 10,000 miles or 12 months, plus follow the OLM. There is one paragraph specific to the C-Max Energi that states 20,000 miles or two years. Luckily the trip odometers record both vehicle miles and EV miles, so you can calculate the actual ICE miles driven.

All I have to go on in terms of history is a dealer maintenance reminder indicating that the next service is due in a little less than 5000 miles. An intelligent guess would be that the dealers always recommend 5K service intervals. They probably used Mototcraft oil and filters.

It's winter here now so I am thinking about an oil change next April. I don't think there is any value in a UOA given that both the oil and mileage on it are unknown.

IME Ford maintenance reminders of that era are simple mileage/time counters (Total mileage, not ICE mileage)

I personally would have no concerns running a quality oil at least 24 months if warranty isn't a concern.

It is possible if you register on the ford owner/ford pass site that it will show you the maintenance history - it is pretty persnickety about the owner name being updated at ford though, its worth a shot.

IME Ford maintenance reminders of that era are simple mileage/time counters (Total mileage, not ICE mileage)

I personally would have no concerns running a quality oil at least 24 months if warranty isn't a concern.

It is possible if you register on the ford owner/ford pass site that it will show you the maintenance history - it is pretty persnickety about the owner name being updated at ford though, its worth a shot.
I don't know that this vehicle is going to accumulate the kind of miles that our others do. The Prius V is likely to remain the road trip car because it scores 45 MPG on highway trips. I do make two trips per year to Northern Maine each year at up to 1200 miles depending upon the route, and will take the C-Max next May.

I have been doing a roughly 10k-mi/1-yr OCI on my Prius Prime PHEV with the free Toyota maintenance. However, it has expired and I will buy the $150 per three oil changes/tire rotations/multipoint inspections ($50 an oil change) AdvantageCare package available in my area so that I can get an oil change every time I go to the dealer for the 5k-mi/6-mo tire rotations. It is cheaper than doing the tire rotation/multipoint inspection without the oil change. Therefore, it is a win–win.

WCT_AdvantageCare_1000x1500.jpg

I have been doing a roughly 10k-mi/1-yr OCI on my Prius Prime PHEV with the free Toyota maintenance. However, it has expired and I will buy the $150 per three oil changes/tire rotations/multipoint inspections ($50 an oil change) AdvantageCare package available in my area so that I can get an oil change every time I go to the dealer for the 5k-mi/6-mo tire rotations. It is cheaper than doing the tire rotation/multipoint inspection without the oil change. Therefore, it is a win–win.

WCT_AdvantageCare_1000x1500.jpg
Thanks for the heads up. I will ask our Toyota dealer if that offer is available for the Prius V.

As of today I am over 700 miles on this vehicle and the fuel guage is still above half. That's over 700 miles on less than seven gallons of fuel. This is normal work communing without a road trip. I think that I will establish an oil change strategy after a 1000+ mile road trip.

Now three months into this car with 2500 miles on the clock. It's burned 21 gallons of gas. My work schedule has a number of longer daily runs coming up, so let's assume that it burns 30 gallons per quarter or 120 gallons per year. Let's even splurge a little bit and assume the car does 1200 miles of highway trips at 35 MPG. That would bring the fuel consumption up to 190 gallons per year.

So why the math? My other vehicles go 220 to 285 miles per gallon on an OCI. It seems as if I could comfortably drive about 12,000 miles on an oil change based upon those metrics. Basically this is the running hours vs. the miles argument. Would anyone care to comment on my logic?

Last edited:
Back