PF59 VS PF44

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the PF44 a direct replacement for the PF59?

Is the only difference is that the PF44 is shorter?

Does the PF44 have a ADBV?

What is the capacity difference between the 2?

Any issues using a PF44 when application calls for a PF59?

Thanks...Scott

[ December 12, 2003, 01:02 AM: Message edited by: Night Owl ]

You must have a GM made truck or an ls1 engine!!

in 2003 GM went to the pf44, while the same engines in 2002 and older used the pf59. No one really knows why. When I asked the parts guy at my dealer he said that they were using the pf59 on their 2003's oil changes, until they got a noticce from gm saying to stop doing so and use only the pf44 for the 2003 and newer.

The filter specs are the same except that the 59 is a little longer and can hold more.

I am only going to use the pf44 on my 2003 truck, enven though the pf59 is most likely ok to use.

BTW:
1. acdelco had now droped the pf44 and it has become the pf46!! there is still old stock of pf44 out there.
2. I recently cut open acdelco pf44/wix/baldwin/hastings. The best was the wix. It had a better adbv, but the baldwin may have had better filtering material (the actual sqaure inches of materal was the same). The pf44 acdelco that I cut open had rust in it!!!!

The PF44 and PF59 both have an antidrainback valve, but why on earth would you want to go with the smaller filter? That PF44 is so small, which is why I immediately went with the longer filters when I had my LS1 Firebird (I used both the M1 206 filter and the UPF58)

Patman,
Do you know for sure if the UPF-58 and UPF-59 BOTH have anti-drainback valves? The AC-DELCO filter book says the PF-58 & PF-59 DON'T have adbv's. Maybe ALL of the UPF# sizes of filters have them anyway.

Every PF-59 I've seen had an ADBV. Never bothered with the 58's since 59's were readily available. I'm looking at a UPF-59 as I write this and can see a sturdy, black ADBV (same is true for UPF-44's, 47's, & 52's). Sounds like Delco's filter book needs to be updated.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
The PF44 and PF59 both have an antidrainback valve, but why on earth would you want to go with the smaller filter? That PF44 is so small, which is why I immediately went with the longer filters when I had my LS1 Firebird (I used both the M1 206 filter and the UPF58)

Because the 44 is available as a UPF but not the 59.

Looking at both these filters it looks like 1/4 of a quart difference between the 2.

To give you an idea of how much more oil will be in your sump by using the PF59 over the PF44 here is my ex....

My 02 LS1 holds 5.5 qts of oil using the PF44 short filter. If I use the PF59 it will hold 6.25 qts of oil.

quote:

Originally posted by VQ35DE:
Patman,
Do you know for sure if the UPF-58 and UPF-59 BOTH have anti-drainback valves? The AC-DELCO filter book says the PF-58 & PF-59 DON'T have adbv's. Maybe ALL of the UPF# sizes of filters have them anyway.

There was a thread on here last year with cutaway pics of both the PF58 and PF59 which showed the 58 had no antidrainback but the 59 did. I would assume the UPF filters follow the same principle. It wouldn't make sense for the UPF58 to have the ADBV since the only difference between a 58 and a 59 Delco filter is the ADBV.

Almost sounds like the PF454/PF1219 dilemma. PF454 is a REAL short PF1219. The PF454 is specified for the GM 454 big block V8 in 4 wheel drive applications because the front driveshaft passes very close to the oil filter. I ran the 1219 on mine with no problems though. That shorty seems wayyyyyy to small for that big block engine, IMHO. But, I am not an engineer with a PhD, so what the hey.

Maybe GM is looking at the cold start knock (CSK)issue with the V8's. I think I will try a PF44/46 to see if it helps, of course it has warmed up so it will be hard to tell.
grin.gif

Does anyone know the difference between the PF44 and 46?

Also, does anyone know how these part numbers cross to Napa/wix filters?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back