Petronas Syntium 5000 with API SM!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you trust this Petronas company? I have not heard of API SM being finalized or available for licensing. Do you incidentally see movies on DVD before their official release? I just wonder if this is "counterfeit oil."

Can you get us a picture of the label or ad you saw this in?

Devilgt, thanks for your link. Would be great if somebody can clarify Petronas statement:

"The absence of magnesium is something which is of particular importance to Japanese carmakers, and reduces the incidence of deposits0"

eljefino,
Do I trust Petronas? Yes. as they are quite renowned in the industry. Not a fly by night small time player. You may remember them as the 'other-half' of the Sauber-Petronas F1 team.

This is purely a marketing issue. Should they jump the gun by launching the API SM oil? Is it fair? That is the question.

Malaysia also blends Castrol RS 10w50, Castrol SLX 0w30, and BP Visco 7000 0w40 for the Singapore market. I wouldnt be surprised the Petronas Syntrium 5000 0w30/0w40 is just a relabelled Castrol or BP oil. This oil costs a whopping RM198 (US$52) for a 4 litre bottle.

I'm not surprised if the basestock is the same but I doubt the additives are. Have friends working in Petronas and journalist friends who've been to the plant and they seem to indicate this.

quote:

Do you incidentally see movies on DVD before their official release?

well actually through alot of p2p programmes you can download and burn a dvd of a movie before it is out in the theatres or available on dvd.

quote:

Originally posted by Primus:
Devilgt, thanks for your link. Would be great if somebody can clarify Petronas statement:

"The absence of magnesium is something which is of particular importance to Japanese carmakers, and reduces the incidence of deposits0"

Yes that is an interesting remark especially seeing two HD Diesel oils marketed here in the USA with the API donut having API CI-4 only now instead of the SL designation that was along for the ride . Typically these engine oils have large amounts of magnesium .

Petronas blend their own oil in their own refinery back in Malaysia. At the moment they are quite agressive and planning to go international. Right now they are tryng to enter Asia market. Fyi, in 2002, they are ranked no 6 among petrolium industry as listed in Fortune global 500. I should know this as I am one of their distributor in Indonesia.

I think it was more of a publicity stunt.
Petronas did it with the SL oils too. Releasing them earlier than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back