Permanent search bar (non functional) in center of my screen

Somehow a search bar is now on my screen, always on top of anything else I am doing. About a 2 inch by 3/8ths inch rectangle with the words "Enter your search term" inside the box. It is non functional, I canot enter anything into the box. Cannot figure out how to get rid of it, cannot move it off to the side. Always there, even after shutdown and restart. Been there for a number of weeks now, and cannot associate it with anything. Any ideas?

This is in Firefox, I just opened an Microsoft Edge browser and the box is gone, even now when I go back to firefox it's gone...but I know it will return.

Last edited:
Sounds like you maybe inadvertently gave permission for a website to add their toolbar to your computer. Maybe go through your add/delete programs list and see if you can identify it and delete it.

Reactions: JC1
Thanks for the replys. Since asking this question it seems to come and go, and is gone now most of the time. I guess I failed to mention it is in the middle of the screen and cannot be moved, so I don't think it is from a website adding a toolbar, that wouldn't be in the middle of the screen.

Back