People Unprepared For The Snow.. Again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am prepared for winter
laugh.gif
. Both vehicles have proper tires (including a 4x4 on skinny studded tires) .... but we can't get any snow
frown.gif

people are impatient, if i dont have a scraper i just start the car up, blast the defrost and go back inside for a few mins. i can find something to read or do while i wait for the window to clear.

Originally Posted By: GenSan
LoneRanger I know just how you feel.

If only I had a bright red LED message that read "Tailgate at your OWN risk!" whenever I braked in the 2WD 4Runner w/ Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1s on hardpacked snow and ice because every stinkin' time I do and there is a full-size pickup truck up my ___ they always seem to learn the hard way that my vehicle will stop on a dime and stop 2-3 car lengths shorter in said conditions than the all-season/all-terrain/summer tires that they are running. This has happened to me far too many times that I brace for impact subconsciously as I look up at rear view mirror.

This highway leads up to my farm property in the following video: LINK

Im amazed at the ignorance of some of the people in that video walking around by their vehicles as other cars are coming who cannot stop either...people do not think at all. not to mention half of them do not even get their vehicle out of the middle of the road, they just sit there waiting to be hit again, which allows all the rest of the cars to pile up. its unreal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Originally Posted By: GenSan
LoneRanger I know just how you feel.

If only I had a bright red LED message that read "Tailgate at your OWN risk!" whenever I braked in the 2WD 4Runner w/ Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1s on hardpacked snow and ice because every stinkin' time I do and there is a full-size pickup truck up my ___ they always seem to learn the hard way that my vehicle will stop on a dime and stop 2-3 car lengths shorter in said conditions than the all-season/all-terrain/summer tires that they are running. This has happened to me far too many times that I brace for impact subconsciously as I look up at rear view mirror.

This highway leads up to my farm property in the following video: LINK

Im amazed at the ignorance of some of the people in that video walking around by their vehicles as other cars are coming who cannot stop either...people do not think at all. not to mention half of them do not even get their vehicle out of the middle of the road, they just sit there waiting to be hit again. its unreal.

Probably started by the "I have AWD and can go 100MPH on bald tires inthe snow!" crowd

I always have extra scrapers in the trunk, spare windshield wiper and some basic tools. I also keep a cover for the windshield and a couple of gallon ziplock bags to put over the side mirrors.

I just leave the scraper in the car; isn't that what the trunk is for?

The difference tires can make is truly amazing. A 4x4/awd on mediocre summer or all season's will likely be outdone by a front wheel drive shod with proper winter tires in good condition (tread depth). I myself have personally experienced the radical diff tires can make, with my Forester. Sure, it's got the vaunted awd and all, but the factory tires were Bridgestone Dueler all seasons which were so-so when new but once they passed 20K miles they because downright dangerous in the snow and especially treacherous on packed ice/snow combo. I litlerally had to slowly skid through a fairly glazed intersection a couple yrs ago honking my horn and pulsing my hgh beams to alert everyone "look out, [censored] w/ poor tires sliding through!!" Humiliating, and dangerous. That was the last time for that. The Bridgestones still showed acceptable tread wear but the compound was [censored] for snow and ice. Later that year, I upgraded tires. Since then, upgraded again to Nokian WRG2's, about the only "4 season" tire with the severe snow service mountain snowflake emblem embossed on the sidewall. And man do they rock in this recent weather. Granted they have pretty much new tread depth, but it's like it's shod with claws now instead of just paw pads.

On a side note, the worst 4x4's for poor driving I've seen are some kids with the 20"+ bling bling rims and shallow sidewall wide carcass summer tires on their SUV's. Delusion of capability but the absolute worst type of tire to have mounted for winter. Might as well have slicks on.

Winter is my favorite season. I love snow, so I'm always ready.

I've got the nice factory alloy rims safe in the garage and the snowtires are on the car, on their plain steel wheels. Actually, I popped for new tires this year, so I was excited to get them on and try them in some snow.

Garage is clean and everything that needs to by put away is safe in the basement. Hose is drained and rolled up. Lawn mower is drained and put away, and I filled the snowblower with fresh gas and parked it first out in the garage. Started right up on the first try. Life is good! And yes, scrapers are in the cars.

I have a 4wd truck.

I'll pass you in a heart beat.

So sue me.

But when I pass you my truck will be clean and not give you a blizzard view. And you won't see me in a ditch unless I'm there pulling a car out of it.

My wife is one of those that doesn't completely clean off her vehicle. I do it for her for the safety of others.

Now I'm getting mad.

Half hour north of me they are getting FEET of snow. Half hour south of me they got about a foot.

Here in Syracuse, the snowiest city in the country... green lawns.

What I don't get is the rush to the grocery stores. I won't go near one if there is snow or the prediction of snow. It's very annoying when you are out of one thing that you would like to have. Having said that, I bought a few month's of TP maybe 2 weeks ago.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
What I don't get is the rush to the grocery stores. I won't go near one if there is snow or the prediction of snow. It's very annoying when you are out of one thing that you would like to have. Having said that, I bought a few month's of TP maybe 2 weeks ago.

+1. Being in retail I've seen the rush throughout our stores when there is a prediction of snow. The most I've ever had to wait to go out after a snow storm is 2 days and I had plenty. Its not like we all life in the middle of a forest

And as for the ice scraper, I leave it in the truck year round. No point in risking forgetting it the first time I get ice on my truck.

Originally Posted By: 65cuda
I always have extra scrapers in the trunk, spare windshield wiper and some basic tools. I also keep a cover for the windshield and a couple of gallon ziplock bags to put over the side mirrors.

Totally stealing the gallon ziplock bag thing, Saturn's have the cheapest side mirrors ever, this will be a nice way to keep em clean! Maybe a few rubber bands to keep the bags from blowing off.

I use the plastic shopping bags over each mirror, and tie the handles together to keep them from blowing away. The big truck mirrors require cutting opposite sides of the handles to reach far enough to tie together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back