Pentastar 2021 vs 2020 Changes?

Recently picked up a 2021 Chrysler 300 with the Pentastar 3.6. Relatives have had these in various models (Jeep, etc.) since about 2012. Aware that there have been changes over the years and certain models now even require 0w20. However, it seems most are recommending 5w20. When deciding which oil to use, I hit the owner's manual and did a little research.

My 2021 owner's manual states:
We recommend you use API Certified SAE 5W-20 Engine Oil, meeting the requirements of the manufacturer Material Standard MS-6395 such as Mopar®, Pennzoil, and Shell Helix Ultra. Refer to your engine oil filler cap for correct SAE grade.
There is no chart or other options listed anyplace in the manual. Oil cap indicates 5w20.

However, when I go back to 2020, the owner's manual states:
Mopar SAE 5W-20 engine oil approved to FCA Material Standard MS-6395 such as Pennzoil, Shell Helix Ultra or equivalent is recommended for all operating temperatures. This engine oil improves low temperature starting and vehicle fuel economy. The engine oil filler cap also shows the recommended engine oil viscosity for your engine. For information on engine oil filler cap location, refer to the “Engine Compartment” illustration in this section.
NOTE: Mopar SAE 5W-30 engine oil approved to FCA Material Standard MS-6395 such as Pennzoil, Shell Helix Ultra or equivalent may be used when SAE 5W-20 engine oil meeting MS-6395 is not available.

My question is: Did anything change in the 2021 Pentastar? I have a pretty good stash of 5w30 I'd like to use, but the omission of any alternative in my OM has me a little concerned. Why would this have dropped out -- purely for fuel economy or some other reason? Thoughts?

Starting about 2016 chrysler made the ERC engine code which is a variation of the ERB. Only the ERC states to run 0w20. All ERB engines are reccomended 5w20 per chrysler. The ERC has barely any parts that cross over to the ERB. Different heads, cams, except a few seals maybe.
The ERC is only being put in Grand cherokees, Gladiators, Wranglers, Pacificas, and Durangos.

Now personally if i owned an ERB equipped Stellantis :cautious: product I'd be running 5w30 or 0w40. I price out lifter/cam jobs for them on the regular at my dealer. I've never seen more than a cracked head on an ERC and I think it was a 2016 Durango, not a lick of trouble after that.

Starting about 2016 chrysler made the ERC engine code which is a variation of the ERB. Only the ERC states to run 0w20. All ERB engines are reccomended 5w20 per chrysler. The ERC has barely any parts that cross over to the ERB. Different heads, cams, except a few seals maybe.
The ERC is only being put in Grand cherokees, Gladiators, Wranglers, Pacificas, and Durangos.

Since you seem to have more than a passing familarity, any idea as to why the ERC (Pentastar Upgrade non-direct injection, I presume) has not been phased in to other models? Something wrong with it? Hope not, as I have one.

I ran 5w20 and 5w30 in our 2013 grand caravan's pentastar and mostly 5w30 in my 2017 Ram 1500 with pentastar. I never noticed a decrease in fuel economy using 5w30. Kept the 2013 until ~75K miles and the Ram until 60K. I only ran 5w30 because it made me feel better. It likely makes zero difference in terms of engine longevity on a cared for engine.

Since you seem to have more than a passing familarity, any idea as to why the ERC (Pentastar Upgrade non-direct injection, I presume) has not been phased in to other models? Something wrong with it? Hope not, as I have one.
They use the same fuel rail according to the parts catalog. only difference is the injectors themselves. The new injectors apparently spray in a different pattern to improve atomization. I found a great article on the specific differences between the two engines here http://australiancar.reviews/2016_Pentastar_V6.php

Reactions: GON

Now personally if i owned an ERB equipped Stellantis :cautious: product I'd be running 5w30 or 0w40. I price out lifter/cam jobs for them on the regular at my dealer. I've never seen more than a cracked head on an ERC and I think it was a 2016 Durango, not a lick of trouble after that.
The ERG ones also take 0W20.

REQUIRED means the oil MUST be supplied FREE!!! recommended is just that, so depending on ambient temps + vehicle use pick an oil. recommendations for thinner oils are EPA + NOT longevity!!

REQUIRED means the oil MUST be supplied FREE!!! recommended is just that, so depending on ambient temps + vehicle use pick an oil. recommendations for thinner oils are EPA + NOT longevity!!
I get the vibe you are laying out, but it is not 100% risk free to be just be doing whatever you want straying from the "recommended" spec and grade from what is called out in the owners manual. Warranty booklet for any late model FCA/Stellantis vehicle is going to have language that they will not cover related warranty repairs that arise from not using fluids that meet the "recommendations".

It is not a get out of jail free card because "Required" was not used in their OM or warranty booklet language. While the impetus is on Chrysler to prove use of a non recommended fluid caused the claimed issue, the reality is that they have the deeper pockets to do whatever they want and drive the warranty claim as they see fit most times. Also, the feds are not going to step in on any single consumer claim to fight for you if the MMWA is invoked.

That being said, I do not follow the OM "recommendations" 100% either, but I understand and accept that remote risk.

Back