Penrite Vantage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just been reading the specs, they seem very close but there are some slight differences on the specs page, the 15w40 Vantage has extra licence: Renault RN 0700, Renault RN 0710, VW 505 00.
They also mention on the semi syn page that they do re label it for Repco stores. Why would they do this just for Repco? Even the extra licencing?

Here are the typical data sheets from each.

Because it's Repco, and they will sell more oil. Some people see Repco brand as the cheap option and will buy it, some, like me, will see it as the cheap option , and buy Penrite instead.

Yes you can get "Penrite Semi-Synthetic" or "Penrite Vantage Semi-Synthetic".

Whenever I have looked, the Vantage seems slightly better to me. Either a stronger add pack or more OEM specs. So I would go the Vantage.

I suspect the Vantage is only for Penrite to sell, but the regular semi-synthetic can be sold as house brand oil for places like Repco (in their bottles) with over-runs going in the regular Penrite bottle.

For the 15W40's above, the add pack looks the same, but maybe the Vantage has a bit more Group III and so meets a few extra specs. Just guessing here.

BTW the Vantage 10W40 is on sale this weekend
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4824826/

Just had a response from Penrite Technical Support, they confirmed that it is the same product and that Vantage is only available through REPCO stores.

Originally Posted By: drew2
Just had a response from Penrite Technical Support, they confirmed that it is the same product and that Vantage is only available through REPCO stores.

OK, thanks mate, so the Penrite Vantage 15W40 SS, and the Penrite 15W40 semi-synthetic are the same stuff. That sort of makes sense, as why bother to blend two oils that are almost the same.

Now I know.

Originally Posted By: SR5
OK, thanks mate, so the Penrite Vantage 15W40 SS, and the Penrite 15W40 semi-synthetic are the same stuff. That sort of makes sense, as why bother to blend two oils that are almost the same.

Now I know.

Once upon a time there was a turbine engineer who was in negotiation with two turbine oil suppliers...20,000L at a time, delivered in tankers

Got samples of both, sent them away, and found that they were compatible in both the new and used state (RBOT and what not, turbine oils don't have a lot of VOA worthy materials in them).

Later found that they were the same base, same add supplier, both were the same to all intents and purposes but the tankers.

The Penrite Vantage 10w-40 full synth looks good and I nearly used it for my oil change (AMG E55) but in the end used the HPR5 5w-40 as it's approved MB229.5. PV full synth 10w-40 isn't approved, just meets the specs. Also supercheap had a killer deal 6l $36.

I know it's slightly off topic but does anyone know the base stock for HPR5?

Another question about the PV fully synth, if it's also ok for motorcycle would it be more shear stable than HPR5?

Moved from Penrite 5W30 to Nulon 5W30 full syn from Costco. 5 litres for $26 can't be beat and the added Moly DTC always wins me over. Daughters SX4 noticeably quieter and it suits the Barra in the Falcon. The only downside is their tech line dude, pedantic beyond belief

Originally Posted by dirtydannyd
The Penrite Vantage 10w-40 full synth looks good and I nearly used it for my oil change (AMG E55) but in the end used the HPR5 5w-40 as it's approved MB229.5. PV full synth 10w-40 isn't approved, just meets the specs. Also supercheap had a killer deal 6l $36.

I know it's slightly off topic but does anyone know the base stock for HPR5?

Another question about the PV fully synth, if it's also ok for motorcycle would it be more shear stable than HPR5?

The HPR 5 is 5W40, but for a motorcycle with a shared sump, shear is your enemy, so I would prefer the tighter Penrite 10w40 full synthetic as it should shear less. Both have 1240 ppm zinc.
Or better yet, one of the Penrite motorcycle oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back