New Penrite 0w-40 fill PAO + ESTER oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.penriteoil.com.au/pis_pdfs/10 TENTHS PREMIUM 0 SEPTEMBER 2014.pdf

Hi

New Penrite 0w-40 fill PAO + ESTER oil released.
According to MSDS it was released 5 September 2014.

Not sure if it is the same as the Repco branded 0w-40.

Below is a copy paste from the Product Data Sheet above.

Claim it is blended using 100% PAO (Poly Alpha Olefin – Group IV) and ESTER (Group V) full synthetic base oils for maximum heat resistance and high performance.

Any new on the quality of the PAO or Ester oils blended in this package.

There is a new 5w-50 superceding the old 5w-60 and a new 10w-60 superceding the 10w-70 in the same brand.

I have not seen these on the shelves yet.

Industry Specifications New Penrite 0w-40
API SN/CF
ACEA A3/B3
JASO MA
Manufacturer Specifications
BMW LL-98
MB 229.1 / 229.3
VW 502.00 / 505.00
Porsche GL
Typical Data
Viscosity, Kinematic, cSt
at 40°C 85
at 100°C 14.9
Viscosity Index 185
Viscosity, Cold Cranking, cP @ -35°C 6009
Ca content, mass % 0.296
B content, mass % 0.063
Zn content, mass % 0.124
Base Number 9.8

Last edited:
From the information that they gave me on the Repco oil
here

It's different enough to be a different oil...a little heavier, lower VI.

Still has the typical Penrite zinc boron Calcium.

Cheers for the heads up.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Those are some poor numbers, regardless of PAO or Ester.

????

Does not meet MB 229.5, means NOACK is above 10%.
It is 0W40 oil and cold cranking is -35! Seriously?

Umm, the COLD CRANKING spec is -35c... for ALL 0w's... what else DON'T you know...?

People were looking at Royal Purple oil and saying that because of the same "poor" number there was no way that it could be PAO+POE. I guess the Penrite people are lying too then? Lol.

????

+1.

And a 100% PAO/Ester lube would be pretty lousy for lots of reasons other than to make some wife's tale believers' wallets lighter.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

????

+1.

And a 100% PAO/Ester lube would be pretty lousy for lots of reasons other than to make some wife's tale believers' wallets lighter.

Care to elaborate why it would be lousy? Not trying to give you a hard time but honestly want to know why.

Originally Posted By: deven

+1.

Care to elaborate why it would be lousy? Not trying to give you a hard time but honestly want to know why.

Because of what was mentioned in the quotes you included. The physical specs and certifications don't show any stellar performance. Further, PAO and POE both have their downsides regarding seal swell, moisture resistance, additive miscibility, etc.

Both are phenomenal lubes, but it's the total sum of the base oils and add packs, as well as the cross section of economics that paint the end picture. Many are caught in the wife's tale of 'fake synthetics' versus PAO and Poe, but the intelligent choice is the best complete product for a need set, not a purchase just for a fraction of basestock.

+1.

Because of what was mentioned in the quotes you included. The physical specs and certifications don't show any stellar performance. Further, PAO and POE both have their downsides regarding seal swell, moisture resistance, additive miscibility, etc.

Both are phenomenal lubes, but it's the total sum of the base oils and add packs, as well as the cross section of economics that paint the end picture. Many are caught in the wife's tale of 'fake synthetics' versus PAO and Poe, but the intelligent choice is the best complete product for a need set, not a purchase just for a fraction of basestock.

I agree with you but I also do want to believe that Penrite or RP wouldn't put out a product just for the sake of it but lab tested it enough(ie for seal swell and moisture retention) to determine it to be a complete product. After all its their reputation on line and I know that Penrite has a great rep in the racing circles as well.

Originally Posted By: geeman789

Umm, the COLD CRANKING spec is -35c... for ALL 0w's... what else DON'T you know...?

Hey neighbor. What area you live in? If you don't mind me asking.

+1.

JHZR2 do your comments also apply to Mobil 1 0w-40 Castrol 0w-40, Redline 0w-40 Valvoline etc etc how is Penrite so different?

So because an approval is not listed doesn't mean it will not pass the test in question eg all the excuses I have always read for Redline oils etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aa1986
Mobil & Castrol 0w40 meet MB229.5.

Valvoline have oils that meet MB229.5.

In fact most oil manufacturers have oils that meet MB229.5.

That includes Penrite whose HPR 5 5w40 is suitable where MB229.5 is required.

MB229.5 is a more robust spec than MB229.3.

Here are all the oils that meet it:

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.5_en.html

Using the lubrizol comparison tool there is not a big gap IMO between the MB 229.3 (2012) and MB 229.5 (2012) oils see link below
https://www.lubrizol.com/apps/relperftool/pc.html

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: virginoil

(Levels of quoting removed)

JHZR2 do your comments also apply to Mobil 1 0w-40 Castrol 0w-40, Redline 0w-40 Valvoline etc etc how is Penrite so different?

So because an approval is not listed doesn't mean it will not pass the test in question eg all the excuses I have always read for Redline oils etc.

I'm not making any excuses for anything. I'm saying that nothing here is particularly compelling spec or physical performance-wise. A savvy marketer will sell something with more PAO because it sells to the group so caught up in the group III vs IV wife's tale.

Nobody is ever saying that PAO and POE don't have a place. They do. But the performance is only compellingly superior for automotive use in a select few criteria, and so my theory here is that PAO and POE are being used as a sales tactic as much as anything else. If this was showing a -76 pour point, great cranking values and a really high VI (note that M1 0w-40 which has at least some group III in it also has a VI of 185), it would be one thing. I'm not being shown anything compelling, and the product isn't meeting any reasonably recent specs.

I get it that racers care about a lube lasting a few hours, but are we talking race cars or are we talking euro and import cars and their lubes? So show me exactly what application this compellingly fits in? The only one I see is the separation of folks so swayed by the wife's tale from their money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back