New Penrite 0w-40 fill PAO + ESTER oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Those are some poor numbers, regardless of PAO or Ester.

????

Does not meet MB 229.5, means NOACK is above 10%.
It is 0W40 oil and cold cranking is -35! Seriously?

My mistake, did not see cp.
Regardless, still cst is at 14.9. Why? Shearing too much?
Does not have NOACK numbers and it does not meet MB 229.5, which means it is probably below standard.
People here immediately think we are saying the company lie's about PAO or Ester, just because we say it is at best average oil. I think it is what they claim it is, problem is ad pack IMO.
In M1 you have Group 3, but meets all most important specs and it is extremely shears table.
Also, that oil does not carry Porsche A40, which is kind of strange.

Last edited:
Looks like they may be utilizing an older add pack that hasn't been subject to recent mfg tests. At the time when the add pack was invented/certified, specs such as MB 229.3 and BMW LL-98 may have been the most current specs.

Also, that oil does not carry Porsche A40,

And what is Porsche GL that they mention? Never heard of it...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Also, that oil does not carry Porsche A40,

And what is Porsche GL that they mention? Never heard of it...

Me neither.

Originally Posted By: virginoil
Using the lubrizol comparison tool there is not a big gap IMO between the MB 229.3 (2012) and MB 229.5 (2012) oils see link below
https://www.lubrizol.com/apps/relperftool/pc.html

In Western Europe, Mercedes allows the use of MB229.3 oils in vehicles that outside of Europe require MB229.5.

I understand it is to account for fuel differences.

However, within Western Europe, the 229.5 spec enables extended ocis over 229.3.

AFAIK MB 229.3 is older spec for cars with fixed oci. 229.5 is for cars with variable oci. Most cars (newer) in EU are specified for mid or low saps oils, for MB oil designation is 229.51.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I think there is some stuff written in the responses that are subjective and are in the IMO club.

Redline pour points are 49 deg F. the VI's are in the same order.

http://www.redlineoil.com/content/files/tech/Motor Oil PDS 5-13.pdf

As are the assumptions that higher PAO/POE content is the end all be all for consumer vehicles not in the arctic or subject to racing.

No the promotion of PAO Ester based oils used in this product and its slant on this thread has been driven by you. It is what you singled out as a weakness and your comments appear to be aimed to putting down this oil or its PAO Ester in this instance.

Your comments are noted, however to me its just an oil put out there by Penrite for those that have vehicles which need the specs it states and owners want to use it.

There is no intention to raise the full synthetic, true v faked synthetic, made in that place etc for these arguments have been done to death over and over.

I posted primarily for my Aussie Cousins that frequent the site and have access to the oil.

Last edited:
Anyway how was the pour point deduced as being higher than 60 deg C (76 def F) when it is not stated anywhere.

US ingenuity at work here ??

Last edited:
Easy. Just went through this in another thread. This is BITOG. Someone states an opinion, like-minded individuals reply with, "+1" or "+1 million!", new guys read it and regurgitate it as fact. Now Penrite offers an 0W with a PP of 60C. Now it's on you to prove it is not. Good luck.

Your edited comment is unnecessary.

Anyway how was the pour point deduced as being higher than 60 deg C (76 def F) when it is not stated anywhere.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Easy.
Your edited comment is unnecessary.

I don't need to prove a thing.

Its Christmas time, the season of perpetual hope and goodwill even for BITOG.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I think there is some stuff written in the responses that are subjective and are in the IMO club.

Redline pour points are 49 deg F. the VI's are in the same order.

http://www.redlineoil.com/content/files/tech/Motor Oil PDS 5-13.pdf

As are the assumptions that higher PAO/POE content is the end all be all for consumer vehicles not in the arctic or subject to racing.

No the promotion of PAO Ester based oils used in this product and its slant on this thread has been driven by you. It is what you singled out as a weakness and your comments appear to be aimed to putting down this oil or its PAO Ester in this instance.

Your comments are noted, however to me its just an oil put out there by Penrite for those that have vehicles which need the specs it states and owners want to use it.

There is no intention to raise the full synthetic, true v faked synthetic, made in that place etc for these arguments have been done to death over and over.

I posted primarily for my Aussie Cousins that frequent the site and have access to the oil.

Problem with this oil are manufacturer specifications or lack of it.

Last edited:
ITT we obsess over printed spec sheets instead of looking at the larger picture: how it performs in service.

Curious that it's only BMW LL-98 and not LL-01 or LL-04.

Originally Posted By: dparm
ITT we obsess over printed spec sheets instead of looking at the larger picture: how it performs in service.

Ain't that the truth brother! Its become more and more rampant here that people choose oil here based on spec sheets. Worst is that no one really knows whats exactly those numbers mean(ie no factual papers to verify that we are interpreting them correctly) and then gets regurgitated here as truth. For example, someone here said that if CCS or MRV is at a certain value then it has to be group III oil. I have scoured SAE papers to see if there is reference numbers that prove this and I have yet to find them!

Originally Posted By: deven
Originally Posted By: dparm

Ain't that the truth brother! Its become more and more rampant here that people choose oil here based on spec sheets. Worst is that no one really knows whats exactly those numbers mean(ie no factual papers to verify that we are interpreting them correctly) and then gets regurgitated here as truth. For example, someone here said that if CCS or MRV is at a certain value then it has to be group III oil. I have scoured SAE papers to see if there is reference numbers that prove this and I have yet to find them!

For me personally if it does not meet MB 229.5 it is not going into engine period!

How about rather than spec sheets, we look at required specifications that the oil meets or doesn't meet?

Penrite have an approved (official) 229.5 / LL01 lube for the mass market.

This product will be $20-30 more per jug and is directed towards the enthusiast or competition market to compete with the likes of Redline and Amsoil. I suspect the HTHS is rather high and for one does not likely meet he fuel efficiency requirements of 229.5 which are significantly higher than 229.3.

I suspect a prime application for this oil will be Ford and FPV 6 cylinder turbos where a 15w40 is recommended.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kschachn
How about rather than spec sheets, we look at required specifications that the oil meets or doesn't meet?

Yup thats better than specs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back