Which two oils would you mix ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a blend of M1 0w40 EF with M1 0w20 EP in the Camaro a couple of years ago, trying to get a robust 0w30 to run through the winter. It worked out well, all the way down to a personal "best" of a -27F cold start.

I bought a bunch of 10W40 HM Synthetic (both M1 and Castrol) at an AZ clearance. Once of the cars I'd use it on has been sold. I'm thinking about mixing it 50/50 with some 0W20 synthetic to give me (roughly) 5W30 for my Tacoma. Thoughts? Any issues doing this?

Last edited:
im running a mix delo sae 30/40 in my truck but that old 302 doesn't really care what i use in it
last years mix was supertech 15w40 mixed 50/50 with rotella sae 40.

I have never mixed oil for the fun of it. I have mixed oil because I had several wts. that I mixed to make the amount I needed. I have also mixed some 20W50 with 5W20 to see if it ran well in an engine. And, it ran just fine.
Hmmmm, for the fun of it? Maybe a 0WXX and a5w20?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: rrounds
3 quarts Mobil 1 V-Twin 20/50
3 quarts Mobil 1 0/40 FS

That is a strong brew.

We have had our S2000 for 8 years and we have put 130k miles on it in that time. All in the western 13 states in high summer desert heat and steep grades. When we travel it seldom sees anything under 4k rpm. Great engine but you have to rev it up to go anywhere.

We have seen a lot of the F20 and F22 engines fail and we don't want ours to be one of them. With that mix I don't worry about my oil breaking down due to high heat. I used to run M1 10/40 H/M but since they reformulated their oils(SN) I went to this mix.

Both oils have close to the same add pack, 0/40FS MO-71 B-280 CA-3255 MG-15 Z-1005 P-978 And V-Twin 20/50 MO-82 B-233 CA-2472 MG-24 Z-1745 P-1600. So a 50/50 mix should give me more anti-wear add pack than the new SN H/M and still keep the good detergent package plus keeps the oil close to a 10/40.
According to two mixing calculators this should be very close to M1 10/40 HM 16cSt 107cSt(16.2cSt 109cSt for my mix).

ROD

I picked up 11 quarts of Castol Syntec 5W50 last year for $2.00 a quart. I mix one quart of that with 4 quarts of Castrol Edge 5W30 for a 2000 Dodge Ram 4W4 5.2 liter.

Per the recent timing chain thread...my post
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4717870/Re:_Do_you_think_that's_&q#Post4717870

What I was concerned about is that the mixing calculators are based on the mixing of straight grades, ISO grades, etc. NOT multigrades..

Applying that correlation to a couple of blends of the M1 hypothetical blend guide oils and some hypothetical monogrades (SAE30 10Cst, and SAE40 14cst ... not how much heavier they are to the typical multi base oils) gives this. And I've added a typical mixing number to see that the addition of straight grades, coupled with the non linear effects of the the additive dilution versus additive effectiveness (or IS that linearity) gives...

A thicker oil than the straight calculator would provide.

Much like back in the leaded/unleaded transisiton in Oz, super (leaded), and PULP could make nearly 100RONs

Originally Posted By: SR5
Penrite 10W40 Full Synthetic and Nulon 10W40 Full Synthetic.

Both the Penrite and the Nulon are Group III synthetics and both are rated API SN & ACEA A3/B4, but the Penrite is high in ZDDP while the Nulon is high in Moly DTc.

I want both .... so another 50:50 mix

Reading there two threads:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4717918/
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1060919/

Mixing a high ZDDP oil and a high MoDTC oil of the same viscosity grade makes even more sense (fun) to me.

The usual argument against mixing is that you don't know how the add packs work together, the thrust of the two links and the associated tech papers, is that ZDDP and MoDTC (or similar) work better together such that it enhances eachothers ability in anti-wear, anti-friction and anti-oxidant ability.

I'm not saying my Nulon & Penrite mix is proven, but I am saying that every additive mix doesn't have to be a negative clash. I think mostly it's neutral, but there is the chance that it's positive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back