Pennzoil YB, New formula?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, that's it Otto.
smirk2.gif
Honda is completely altruistic and busy formulating and bottling their own special oils.

Isn't "Honda oil" actually Mobil Clean 5000? Good oil, but I'd take Havoline or PYB anyday.

PZYB is the next oil going into our CRV. I'm off the synth for that engine. Was doing 2x/yr on M1 0w-30 but am going on a dino diet of 3x a year for the short tripping. The engine just DOES NOT require synth. I'm practicing what I preach.

We know that oil analysis of the oil from brand new Hondas shows high moly levels, but we don't know if that is due to a special break in lube oil they fill with at the factory, some super duper assembly lube or something else. Honda isn't talking. Honda's branded replacement motor oil appears to be very similar to garden varienty Mobil Clean 5000.

Knowing that Hondas come from the factory with a boat load of moly and that Honda's replacement oil has more garden variety additive levels tell us ... well, almost nothing! Not enough information there to draw any valid conclusions from.

In the FM regimen Moly forms easily sheared whiskers on the surface. I have heard Boron described as forming cylinders that roll between surfaces. a rough analogy would be setting dowels under a heavy object to roll it.

Last edited:
I'm not an oil hoarder either. I like using the the most up to date formulations and usually go for the latest production dates.

I really like the fact that Pennzoil/Havoline use "born on" dates for that reason.

Other mfgs use dates too, but they are obscured. meh, I have some M1 0w-30 from 2003 and lots of PP from 06 and GC from 04. Kinda of pointless when you look at the cold specs from PZYB.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Yeah, that's it Otto.
smirk2.gif
Honda is completely altruistic and busy formulating and bottling their own special oils.

Isn't "Honda oil" actually Mobil Clean 5000? Good oil, but I'd take Havoline or PYB anyday.

He said Honda factory fill.

No honda oil is not Mobil 5000. if you look up uoa..2/19/09 honda 5w/30 2008 civic si and compare it with uoa 2-16-09 mobil clean 5000 10w30 cavalier you are talking about a can of pop vs a can of red bull.moly was dropped because they raised the price.simple money issue life does go on.

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
No honda oil is not Mobil 5000. if you look up uoa..2/19/09 honda 5w/30 2008 civic si and compare it with uoa 2-16-09 mobil clean 5000 10w30

The Honda brand oil you buy from the dealer is either Mobil Clean 5000 or the Mobil conventional below that.

It seems you think a reduction in moly equals a "scale back" in the formula. That's just not the case.

well whether or not the formula has changed my 2006 kia (used penzoil 5W20 from day one) still likes it alot, and has not had any issues lately

Moly is not the be-all-end-all anti-wear agent. Given a choice, I would rather rely on ZDDP, Phos, and Boron in concert with each other working synergistically than on ZDDP, Phos, and Moly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back