Pennzoil YB, New formula?

After reading, it seems Pennzoil YB is regarded as one of the best dino oils. From what I've read, it seems the formula has changed recently, shown with a lot more Boron. Is the new formula still as good as it was before?

alot more boron but what else???moly too expensive now?new formula reflecting the cheap price you can buy it now????looks weaker to me.

Boron seems to be showing up more and more in the new formulations. Seems to be the "in" additive right now.

i hope it is still the same i like that oil if it changed i will start buying Conoco Phillips products we go through a lot of oil and my wal mart will feel the pinch to some degree we buy 30-50 cases at a time when the price is rite,,although it may be better does anyone have information on it! Problem is everyone was happy with the old formula why would they change it now? With this site alone there will be thousands of people that will stop using it if it changed for the worse of course if it got better the price might increase and everyone will start buying something else anyway..

I don't see the problem, it looks like they reduced moly and increased boron. Calcium and ZDDP look pretty much unchanged, it still has close to 2000 ppm calcium. Chevron Delo 400 LE has been running ~500 ppm of boron for years now, and that oil is great. I personally like it more than the CI-4+ Delo.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
JOHNNY WHERE ARE YOU?
^^You read my mind my brutha! Oh where oh where can Johnny be?

Last edited:
 Originally Posted By: Johnny
Johnny is right here not worrying about formulation changes to motor oil. The chemists know what they are doing. Life goes on.
Exactamondo \:\! I have a few jugs of YB for my parents' car. Pretty yellow jugs. Now if they make those jugs uglier I'll have a problem with it ;\)

Johnny is right here not worrying about formulation changes to motor oil. The chemists know what they are doing. Life goes on.
Thats it!! Johnny,you are the OZ of Pennzoil!! So you think all is well? their not going to cheapen/tighten their belts for the worse??

Thanks for saving BITOG members from a complete melt down again. :)

Johnny,instead of life goes on how about is moly better than boron..i know moly costs more so the lack of is that life going on?????

I would also like to know the answer. I understood that Mo and ZDDP produced complex surface coatings that not only decreased wear (only slightly) but more important, decreased friction as ZDDP has a great wear protection but no so great friction reducing properties. I wonder if B does exactly the same thing as Mo.

It's darn good oil!!! I've officially changed to a SOUPUS guy after a great deal of research and Johnny's goldmine of wealth in his posts.

Just know Honda factory fill is loaded with moly.Honda must know something yb does not.but i think the fact pep boys is selling yb for 9 bucks five qts plus filter something has to be adjusted.formula makes it possible to still make a small profit.did yousay oil co. making a small profit?????