Pennzoil ULTRA versus Red Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: skellyman
The sad part is SOPUS won't offer their true World Class oils in the North American market.
Why do they continue to market tier 2 oils like Pennzoil as their 1st class product in North America ?

I guess because the U.S. oil standards are less stringent than those required by Euro manufacturers. What oils do you consider to be Shell's tier 1 oils?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bourne
If I were you, Id give Amsoil XL or Signature series a shot as well. Especially for the price break you can get when you become a preferred customer. Amsoil Signature series has very similar specs to Ultra in terms of NOACK, VI etc, but has more quantity (ppm) of additives like Calcium and such.

Of course, I'd just use PP, especially with its newer specs.

Very similar but PU has more cleaning power, Amsoil has more higher TBN.

Last edited:
I'm still making the comparison, but my car may prefer Platinum. Ultra seemed to burn a bit, about 1 qt in 7300 miles.

Shell's current US offerings seem to compete very well with Mobil, Valvoline, Castrol, and others.

True, Shell's euro spec oils are not readily available in the US.

But Shell probably isn't seeing much consumer demand for these products yet.

When Shell's euro spec oils do arrive at our local Walmart, they will probably be labeled Pennzoil Ultra.

To the OP's question, use PP in lieu of Ultra. No need for the expensive, hard to find Redline.

Originally Posted By: vo_marz
Redline has 1400PPM of ZDDP , higher than average HTHS/NOACK and is a blend of PAO/POE (and none of the GTL/G3+ [censored])

and boatloads of UOA/ VOA's here.

It is literally ... overkill (pun intened LOL)

You are aware that gtl basestocks are actually better than pao due to their polarized nature and additive solubility right?
Redline is my favorite brand of oil however lack of any formal approvals as well as insane price has effectively removed me from the buyers list.
Not when I can buy oil that is more than enough for my needs that costs less in the end.
If I was on the track then approvals are irrelevant and I'd have redline in the sump but my drag car is also a drive on the street car so I've gotta find the best of both worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back