Pennzoil ULTRA versus Red Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like many of you, I'm having a hard time locating Ultra. Platinum is everywhere but Ultra is nowhere. I've checked two O'Reilly's stores, Walmart, AutoZone, and Advance Auto. Especially troubling is what the clerk at O'Reilly's said. After checking his computer system, he told me the O'Reilly's chain has Ultra marked at a "close-out" price of $2.xx per quart. He explained that Close-Out means O'Reilly's won't be carrying it in the future. What has happened to Pennzoil / Shell? I thought they had better logistics. How can they offer a beloved oil and a year or two later the oil is nowhere to be found? After trying lots of oils from Mobil One to Amsoil to Renewable Lube's Bio-Syn, etc. I thought I had found my home in Ultra. Guess not if it can't be found anywhere anymore. Is Shell not making it anymore?

I have an 11-month 7,500-mile OCI coming up in about 250 miles, and I was going to use Ultra again. And I was going to get a Blackstone analysis of the used Ultra that's currently in my car, BUT IF Ultra cannot be bought anymore, what's the use of getting a Blackstone report? I'll never be able to buy the oil again. Hopefully this Ultra disappearance is temporary???

I like Ultra a lot more than Platinum. The engine runs quiter with Ultra than Platinum. I don't think I'll use Platinum again after Ultra.

If I can't find anymore Ultra, I may just mail order Red Line fast. Will Red Line hold up in a 2006 Camry 4-cylinder for 10 months to a year and 7,500 miles?

Really disappointed about not finding Ultra.

Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs
Order the Red Line. I do!

And if you can order Red Line, any other oil becomes irrelevant because Redline is so good.

LOL! And I'm sure you have buckets of data to back-up this statement right?
smirk.gif

I wish PU was more readily available, but unfortunately it's not. PU is a better oil than RL IMO. So is PP. I don't believe Redline is THAT good.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

And if you can order Red Line, any other oil becomes irrelevant because Redline is so good.

smirk.gif

It makes my cars run a LOT better on the BUTT dyno. Makes them quieter, too!
smile.gif

^^ But, in the interest of fairness, it is only my opinion.

I know Dr. haas LOVES Redline, and he has many many superexotic cars...

smirk.gif

smile.gif

Have you owned a car long enough to really draw this conclusion? I mean, from your posting history, everything you've owned has been so plagued with issues that it could be sun spots causing you to think there's an improvement, LMAO!!

Originally Posted By: Built_Well
Especially troubling is what the clerk at O'Reilly's said. After checking his computer system, he told me the O'Reilly's chain has Ultra marked at a "close-out" price of $2.xx per quart. He explained that Close-Out means O'Reilly's won't be carrying it in the future.

Really disappointed about not finding Ultra.

It's on clearance at many a Walmart, too.

It's like a phantom, unicorn, really really good oil.. that probably is Redline's equal.

How about Amazon.com? They have it! (I get my Redline from there, but TBF I get other oil from there too. Cheap and delivered. Can't beat that.)

What grade are you looking for? I'll find it for you, and PM you.

smirk.gif

smile.gif

^^ But, in the interest of fairness, it is only my opinion.

I know Dr. haas LOVES Redline, and he has many many superexotic cars...

He runs RLI, not Redline (RL). Which is a Renewable Lubes product specifically blended for him with a high HTHS which means it is significantly heavier than the grade on the bottle would lead you to believe.

Pennzoil is playing suicide with Ultra,eventually it will be discontinued due to lack of sales,and that lack of sales will be directly tied to the lack of retail outlets selling it.You would think Pennzoil would be hopping mad to lose all the exposure of the major player retailers.However,I am thinking this is all a master plan.Ultra will be replaced with something else....SuperDuper Oil....Stupendous Oil,....Supreme Oil...and the lack of pushing Ultra will be a way of saving face,and saying that they didnt drop a popular product,they just got rid of a slow seller and replaced it with something even better....

Or, SOPUS will continue to position Ultra as the premium product that it is and drop mass-market lowest price outlets like every Walmart.
Ultra remains available, just not at every Walmart.
Some of the higher demographic Walmarts (a bit of an oxymoron) continue to stock it at regular price.
No Ultra clearances around here.

I am running Ultra 5w-30 in a Lexus RX300. Love this oil so I understand your frustration. I saw one jug of 5w-30 in the clearance section of the Maplewood Wal-Mart 3 weeks ago. I decided to go with Mobil 1 EP deal that came with a Mobil 1 filter. It will be interesting if there is a noticeable difference.

If I were you, Id give Amsoil XL or Signature series a shot as well. Especially for the price break you can get when you become a preferred customer. Amsoil Signature series has very similar specs to Ultra in terms of NOACK, VI etc, but has more quantity (ppm) of additives like Calcium and such.

Of course, I'd just use PP, especially with its newer specs.

Even PYB would work for that interval.

I don't like Red Line because it's difficult to get and they strong-arm childish price fixing like Apple.

Is there a Pep Boys nearby?

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Pennzoil is playing suicide with Ultra,eventually it will be discontinued due to lack of sales,and that lack of sales will be directly tied to the lack of retail outlets selling it.You would think Pennzoil would be hopping mad to lose all the exposure of the major player retailers.However,I am thinking this is all a master plan.Ultra will be replaced with something else....SuperDuper Oil....Stupendous Oil,....Supreme Oil...and the lack of pushing Ultra will be a way of saving face,and saying that they didnt drop a popular product,they just got rid of a slow seller and replaced it with something even better....

I don't think they'll discontinue Ultra. It just seems that it's a little precocious for the market. PP already competes with M1, Synpower, Syntec and other "standard-class" synthetics. The benefits that are inherent to a GTL-based oil like Ultra will eventually become industry standard IMO, as the push for stronger, cleaner, more stable oils becomes demanded by OEMs at a more advnaced level than today. But as it stands, the consumer has no idea what the difference between PP and PU are, other than price. It's almost a 'project-pearls-before-swine' scenario
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back