Pennzoil Ultra Platnium vs Mobil 1 vs Amsoil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: lawnguy
Wise Guy.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Amsoil is good for a 25 HP increase in Ford engines

No, you have it all wrong. If you put an Amsoil decal on your window it will be a 25 HP increase in a Ford engine. And, it doesn't matter which manufacturers vehicle window you put it on.
grin.gif

Back in ~2005 or so. The first time I used Amsoil (0w-30 Series 2000) was in my 2003 Corvette Z06 LS6 engine. Prior fill was Mobil1 5w-30.

What I noticed:
- A much quieter engine. Piston slap at warm up that was very noticeable was 1/4 of what I heard before.
- Oil temps. as per dash readout dropped from my normal 217 F to 199 F, during my routing commute.
- Engine felt more free and lively.

Today I still run Amsoil in the 2003 Vette, now using 5w-30 Sig. Series, and it doesn't seem quite the oil the 0w-30 Series 2000 was. Still good, maybe I am just used to the "good". Oil temps now seem to be around 205 F.

My take on things now is that Mobil1 5w-30 has gotten better. Maybe Amsoil cheapened things up a little when the stopped touting the PAO based. Still all great oils.

It's been my experience driving for 40+ years now that if you use any quality oil meeting the requirements set forth by the manufacture (while there may be differences in oil, either real or simply marketing), there is little to no difference to the outcome of the engine. Longevity, fuel mileage are 2 that comes to mind that DO NOT seem to be effected, certainly not enough to warrant paying the extra dollars for the higher priced higher marketed oils. I'm not just talking daily drivers, in our family we have always had numerous ATV's, muscle cars, motorhomes, gas, diesels, you get my point here. Now a days it seems like the rest of the vehicle wears out before the engine, well at least up here in Canada. I have also had many UOA's done that support my opinion.

Last edited:
In your application, the only difference between these three would be the miles you could drive between OCI's.
I assume you're considering the EP version of M1, and the SS of Amsoil.
I'd change the PUP earliest, followed by EP, followed by Amsoil. Beyond the OCI's, it doesn't matter in your truck.
I use PUP and M1 in my vehicles, but nothing but Amsoil in our business's commercial lawn care equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back