Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Vs Mobil 1 Synthetic Vs AMSoil Signature

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being getting 1L jugs on sale is practically never, I will be picking up 2 5L jugs of the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Synthetic. Over a dozen videos with test results rated it higher then the Mobil 1, which had lower scores. Even the additive pack is a lot less in the Mobil 1. Being the two brands are priced the same on sale, I have no reservations about switching over.

Watching videos on YouTube to gather useful information on oils is not the way to go. In the end, it's your money and time do as you wish.

Being getting 1L jugs on sale is practically never, I will be picking up 2 5L jugs of the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Synthetic. Over a dozen videos with test results rated it higher then the Mobil 1, which had lower scores. Even the additive pack is a lot less in the Mobil 1. Being the two brands are priced the same on sale, I have no reservations about switching over.

How much is Gena paying you?

I could just use the Ultra Platinum oil and drain all of it after a year at my oil change.
This

I want to run the best oil I can get, but I don't want to waste it either by draining it all too soon.
I don't know why regular people driving regular mass produced cars for regular service intervals need to run "the best oil." It's not necessary and it's not helpful. Your car has certain requirements -- going above and beyond the requirements doesn't mean the car will be faster or run better longer. Maybe it will, but it probably won't. No need to agonize over this decision. You aren't running top fuel power levels and you aren't spinning 9000 RPM for 3 hours straight. I think most people just want to know they are taking good care of their vehicle and in this case it's definitely not necessary to use "the best you can get." Just stay on top of regular maintenance, follow the recommended service interval for your driving/ usage, use approved (aka "spec") parts and materials, then find something else to worry about.

I might give the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum a try. Its on sale for $30 at Canadian Tire this week for a 5L jug.
Sounds like a good idea. If you are changing yearly around 8000 miles, just use a name-brand synthetic that meets the required spec.
You could run the Fram Ultra for 2 intervals and make things even easier, but I get the feeling you won't do that :)

Pert Plus or Clorox would dominate those "tests", that in no way means those products are suitable for use in your engine nor are those "tests" in any way representative of how the products perform in your engine.

You can either take the informed advice here from people that actually know what they are talking about, or, you can watch videos of imbeciles doing things to oil that has ZERO correlation to how it performs in your engine and draw spurious conclusions. The choice is yours.

If I asked you to judge the long range performance of two rifles based on how well they worked as hammers, how well do you think that would correlate to their performance at putting lead down range?

2014 Mustang 3.7L. I drive it hard at times, but casual more then not. I let it rev to 7 grand on occasion to keep the VVT system working. I drive the car all year round. Winters here probably go down to 0 or minus 10C. Most of my driving is stop and go.

Any of those 3 oils will do fine for 8K/1 year in your 3.7 Mustang. I like that engine and nearly sprung for a Mustang with it and a stick a few months back. PS: QSUD will also do fine and save you a few bucks too.

I usually change my oil once a year, since I only usually put on 8000K per year. I have been using Mobil 1 regular synthetic (not the awful extended stuff) for about 25,000K now, with an oil change once per year at 8000k each time.
A lot of video tests state the Mobil 1 Extended burns off a lot faster then their regular synthetic version does, and it barely meets some specs in the rating system.
[/QUOTE]

This is fantastic info!! I had no idea the Mobil 1 Extended was "awful". I have been using it off and on for over 225,000 in my last truck and now almost 60,000 miles in my current one. I might have to switch after watching these videos.

The sludge is spooky!! Proof right here on YouTube!! Yikes!!

This guy says it's good. Now I'm confused?? Who do I believe??

I let it rev to 7 grand on occasion to keep the VVT system working.

More outstanding input. It's good to know you have to rev them up to keep them "working".

This is fantastic info!! I had no idea the Mobil 1 Extended was "awful". I have been using it off and on for over 225,000 in my last truck and now almost 60,000 miles in my current one. I might have to switch after watching these videos.

More outstanding input. It's good to know you have to rev them up to keep them "working".
Lol. You have a sense of humor :)

OP, go to Google, type in your areas of interest and behind it type ",bitog".

You will find much more appropriate answers that way, than those videos.

From now on just call it PUP. Also no need to follow it up with the word Synthetic.We all know PUP is a synthetic oil. Surprised nobody has said Who the hell is this guy! Although most of us were probably thinking as much.

A lot of video tests state the Mobil 1 Extended burns off a lot faster then their regular synthetic version does, and it barely meets some specs in the rating system.

As per AMSoil, its their Signature Series oil with the 25K oil change interval. They want $18 per Litre for this stuff. I can get Mobil 1 Synthetic (not Extended stuff) and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum for $28-30 a 5L jug here.
2604A802-854F-4F43-9FD4-8898E1CF1208.jpeg

Just my 2¢, I have 2 free oil changes at the dealer for the 2016 CR-V I bought last February and the oil life is down to 30%. When it gets to 20% I'll call for an appointment. I expect the dealer to try to up sell me on engine air filter and cabin air filter and probably a few other things but I will pass on that.

Once the free oil changes are done, I intend to use PUP because it is one of the best when it comes to cleaning and the VVT system has screens that can get clogged. And also PUP has a low NOACK number, even though the K23W Earth Dreams engine does not have problems with carbon building up on the back of the intake valves.

The post about revving the engine high enough to cause the VVT to kick in is something I am going to have to think about. I have been driving this new to me CR-V since February and have put about 3400 miles on it and have never had the RPMs above 4000 and the VVT kicks in at 4600. So maybe I will have to take it on a highway and put it in S mode to get the RPMs up for a little while.

OP, is the engine in your 14 Mustang direct injection? If it is, then the low NOACK number of PUP would be a big plus in keeping intake valve deposits at a minimum.

I wouldn't (at least in my experience and my engine) jump to conclude PUP is superior to say M1. I had oil burning with PUP that I did not with M1. Plus consistently being in the lower range viscosity for grade. Not gonna use it again and will return to M1.

Last edited:
I'll try PUP for 2 oil changes to see how my car is. Engine only has 45k on it at the moment. If it runs worse, I will switch back to M1.

[/QUOTE]
I love the way he uses the soup ladle to scoop out the sludge haha!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back