Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Vs Mobil 1 Synthetic Vs AMSoil Signature

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont mind changing my oil at all. I just dont want to spend $18 per litre of oil if I have to drain it out once a year at 8000K. That said I might give the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum a try. Its on sale for $30 at Canadian Tire this week for a 5L jug.

And for what it's worth, the typical properties sheets aren't specs, the specifications, approvals and licenses the oil carries are the "specs".

You just don't get it, putting motor oil in a coffee pot for a few hours is an excellent way to gauge how well it will hold up in an internal combustion engine over the course of ten or twenty thousand miles 😤

If you disagree please like my video, subscribe to my YouTube channel, and argue with me in the comment section.
Where/what is your YouTube channel? I'd like to see your tests and videos.

I dont mind changing my oil at all. I just dont want to spend $18 per litre of oil if I have to drain it out once a year at 8000K. That said I might give the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum a try. Its on sale for $30 at Canadian Tire this week for a 5L jug.

At this point, use the cheapest HM oil available and be done with it.
I doubt your VVT needs 7 grand to keep it working. If so, oil ain’t your problem. Lol.

Italian tune up!

I was told by a mechanic that its a good idea to rev the engine up high, just to give the VVT system a workout every now and then. It kicks in around 4 or 5 grand, so if you aren't using it very often, it could fail at some point from non use. I dont know how true this is, but it makes sense something could seize up if you don't use it very often.

I was told by a mechanic that its a good idea to rev the engine up high, just to give the VVT system a workout every now and then. It kicks in around 4 or 5 grand, so if you aren't using it very often, it could fail at some point from non use. I dont know how true this is, but it makes sense something could seize up if you don't use it very often.

It's a good idea to "blow out the cobwebs" every once in a while but I doubt it's going to have any impact on the longevity of the VVT components.

Is this correct?

Yes, the VVT usually activates at higher rpm ranges and normally stay locked in the base timing set until a specific rpm range is hit.

Depends on the VCT/VVT system. BMW's VANOS for example both advances and then retards camshaft timing over basically the entire engine RPM range to shift the power curve in real time. Some more basic systems just retard camshaft timing to push the curve out from base and others of course have two separate lobe profiles like V-TEC if we aren't being specific to just a phaser setup.

Depends on the VCT/VVT system. BMW's VANOS for example both advances and then retards camshaft timing over basically the entire engine RPM range to shift the power curve in real time. Some more basic systems just retard camshaft timing to push the curve out from base and others of course have two separate lobe profiles like V-TEC if we aren't being specific to just a phaser setup.

I wondered about this. Not too many vehicles stay in that 4-5000 rpm band. I believe the Mazda has hydraulic VVT on the exhaust but electronic on the intake.

In either case, using a good oil changed regularly is a good idea.

Here I am can’t find an advantage to using Amsoil SS. Will be going back to Mobil. Like their other products though.

Being getting 1L jugs on sale is practically never, I will be picking up 2 5L jugs of the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Synthetic. Over a dozen videos with test results rated it higher then the Mobil 1, which had lower scores. Even the additive pack is a lot less in the Mobil 1. Being the two brands are priced the same on sale, I have no reservations about switching over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back