Pennzoil Ultra Platinum - Compliance question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2014 Ram 1500 calls for 5w-20 oil, for some reason I ordered 5w-30.

Quote:
We recommend you use API Certified SAE 5W-20 Engine Oil, meeting the requirements of Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395

There is a special note in my manual though that says

Quote:
NOTE: SAE 5W-30 engine oil approved to Fiat 9.55535-S1 or Fiat 9.55535-S3 may be used when SAE 5W-20 engine oil meeting MS-6395 is not available

So is the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-30 I ordered up to these standards so I can just use the oil I have. Or do i need to go and mail this oil back and order some 5w-20.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Exchange it....to meet your vehicles requirements....but I don't think it will hurt your engine if you use the 5w30 just for one OCI.

I would exchange it, but no one around here sells it. I had to order it from amazon.

so that means i would need to box it up and mail 2 packages (7 qts) back to amazon for a refund and order the new stuff.

If i could go to my local corner store and exchange it i would, but the cost of money and time mailing it back is pushing me to see if i can get away with using this.

PUP should be as good as any oil labeled as meeting this Fiat cert.
If the recommendation is for any 5W-20 API SN, PUP 5W-30 should be fine.
It's also not as though this is the dead of winter, but you don't live in a place where that would much matter anyway.
Having accidently bought it, I'd run it.
Or, do you have anything else in which you might use this oil?

I don't have anything else and am basically trying to avoid the cost of mail these 7 quarts back to amazon.

If the manual says its ok to use 5-30 if it meets the standards then id rather do that on this one fill rather than eat the cost of mailing it back and ordering more.

Just wanted other peoples, who are more knowledgeable about oils opinion on the matter since PUP doesnt say on their site if they are fiat compliant.

Originally Posted By: DocFluty

So is the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-30 I ordered up to these standards

Technically, it is not.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

So is the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-30 I ordered up to these standards

Technically, it is not.

+1

I don't have anything else and am basically trying to avoid the cost of mail these 7 quarts back to amazon.

If the manual says its ok to use 5-30 if it meets the standards then id rather do that on this one fill rather than eat the cost of mailing it back and ordering more.

Just wanted other peoples, who are more knowledgeable about oils opinion on the matter since PUP doesnt say on their site if they are fiat compliant.

I don't know if this helps (and you probably already know this), but the Pennzoil site says that Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30 exceeds Chrysler MS-6395. I didn't notice any mention of Fiat though. I wonder why the manual has Chrysler MS-6395 designated for 5W-20 and then Fiat 9.55535-S1 or Fiat 9.55535-S3 designated for 5W-30?

Run it. I've put 0w30 and 5w30 through my Ram numerous times. Won't make a bit of difference, especially is MS in the spring and summer.

Nothing wrong with the 5w-30 PU. Personally, I'd put it in the garage or basement, and just order some 5w-20. Use the 5w-30 as top up oil, or wait till the warranty is over and use it. Or, you could swap out one quart of 5w-20 PU for one quart of 5w-30 each OCI until your done with the 5w-30.

Doc for what it's worth! My owners manual states if 5W-20 can't be found or not accessible 5W-30 will work fine...

I switched too 0W-30 838 miles ago and my 5.7L is Very Quiet-Very Smooth-Very Responsive and NO issues with the MDS!

I even added 8oz of Schaeffers #132 to help with extra anti-wear protection to help fight against that so called Hemi-Tick!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back