Pennzoil Ultra or Royal Purple 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: electrolover
Ultra is a very good oil. It wont hurt anything to give it a shot, although its not a pao like RP.

RP is a good oil. It won't hurt anything to give it a shot, although it's not a technologically advanced GTL like Ultra.

For me,no question if the RP is already working for you,then I'd personally stick with it.

If it's not broke,no need to fix it.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: DragRace
For me,no question if the RP is already working for you,then I'd personally stick with it.

If it's not broke,no need to fix it.
thumbsup2.gif

Would do. All tho I'm tempered with German castrol but I don't know where to get it.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
I also highly doubt that RP is a majority based PAO synthetic. But there is nothing wrong with that.

Depends on the weight. Their Xw40s are very different chemistries.

well my oil change is coming up so Im gonna try Ultra for a change and if my truck likes it ill stick with it. it was on sale at AUTOZONE

See that the OP is in Texas. Take a look at the stats on the PU 10w-30 too. If you aren't seeing real cold temps, then might be one to consider. Little more shear stable, and very low volatility.

I ran it exclusively here in VA/NC for a few years, and am thinking of switching back in the LGT. My UOA posted last year was pretty good with it. Only switched because I stocked up on BC 0w-40 @ bogo sale for less per quart.

M1 isn't really known for being the quietest of oils.

RP is overrated, IMO. Run PU with confidence. It is good stuff
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: hektor
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Originally Posted By: hektor
with RP I have no noise.

Both are great oils, but since RP is working great for you, don't change from it. RP can also go up to and extended 12K interval. Stay with a winner.

Agreed. Why change what is working so well?

agreed, I just starting using it maybe 2k ago. been using M1 but the valve train noise was louder, also the engine took longer to warm up. Since RP no more valvetrain noise and truck feels smooth as [censored] I GUESS she liked that Purple liquid

Your engine took longer to warm up with M1. How are we supposed to react to that statement, especially for us who actually know what makes pistons go round and round.
31.gif

Last edited:
The current M1 oils seem to be better than ever. All of the recent UOA's are perfect. Thinking about going back to M1 15W50.

I think M1, RP, or PU would be fine. RP has always scared me away for the most part due to pricing. M1 has always performed well for me. I have a huge stash of PU now that I am running in several cars. However, the PU love that is given here seems overwhelming. In all honesty, I have not seen a difference in PU to pretty much any other oil. This is not a bash either, just stating facts. Doesn't run quieter, doesn't run cooler, of course doesn't give better MPG (my feeling on that it is all nonsense in the real world with the better MPG story from one oil to another), and sure has not made my life better either
grin.gif

PU is an excellent oil, but IMO does nothing more or less than any other quality oil. I will continue to happily use it until my stash of it runs out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back