Pennzoil Ultra 5W-40 Euro

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you guys are saying that the PP Euro 5W-40 listed on oil-store.com at $33.30 is simply a re-packaged identical oil as the PU Euro 5W-40 listed on the same site at $43.95, and so we should all buy the $33.30 oil and be happy that we actually have the latest "Ultra" oil....at a $10.65 savings per case, right?

...that is pretty much what we are thinking. You will note that PP 5W-40 is no longer on the NA Pennzoil site. I suppose it is possible that the detergent pack is different between the two, but even if it is, you are talking about a pretty small difference that is not worth the price premium.

I should add, that's exactly where I bought my oil. I have to eat my words about only buying oil in a store. I tried. I couldn't find it anywhere. I really wanted to try Shell Helix Ultra, but that stuff is like Unobtainium...

Last edited:
Someone should order some PP and PU and have a voa done on both.

19.gif

-Dennis

I just received a reply on the question from Debbie. She says the Ultra oil has a different additive package to the PP, and is a different oil. She cannot provide proprietary ingredient details.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Why would they bother messing with the add pack if they are still meeting the exact same mfg specs?

OEM specs require re-certification, and if the OEMs see improved performance next time the oil comes in to be re-certified, that's a feather in Pennzoil's cap.

That's my guess.

the PP 5w40 that oil-store had was the SL rated. The newest formulation of PP/PU 5w40 is SM rated. (or maybe i have it backwards with the SM/SL).

At any rate, the older pp 5w40(one oilstore had) was a thicker/mid range 40 weight.

Johnny, as an ex-Pennzoil guy, what is your take on the difference between PP, PU, & Helix Ultra 5W-40? All 3 oils have identical TDS #'s.

Well tell me this, is it possible that you could have different formulation oils (diff additive pack or whatever) that still post up the same #'s on the TDS?

It's my OPINION that it's rather suspicious that all 3 specs are identical (assuming they are, as stated). It could be that some was lazy to document very minor differences as seen in the specs, although some non-metalic additives were added that are not seen in the usual specs.

For example, it's my (unlearned and purely LAYMAN's opinion) that all UOA that show TBN for the most recent oils, is becoming invalid, due to the additives moving AWAY from the metal based additives and to other, more exotic, more expensive, NON-METAL additives, which do not show on the TBN tests (and may well be PARTLY the reason for the latest oils showing less TBN then diesel or older oils, where the metals are very visible as TBN.

Random thoughts....and I really don;t know the answer to whether they are the same or not. Sopus says they ARE different, in direct reply to my specific question, but without detail it's tough to get around the published spec sheets being the same.

Originally Posted By: cycloxer
Well tell me this, is it possible that you could have different formulation oils (diff additive pack or whatever) that still post up the same #'s on the TDS?

Yes

Originally Posted By: OldBaldy
It's my OPINION that it's rather suspicious that all 3 specs are identical...

I hear you, especially because the Platinum 5W-40 varient is no longer listed as an available grade on Pennzoil's US website. Why would they do that? I can think of one reason...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back