Pennzoil ultra 10w30 good for extreme winter cold?

^^^ From the 2nd OM. And don't use 20 weight above 20F. :LOL:

1665344627670.png

My car book.
This whole thing was about for 17-22 degrees F, would 10w30 Pennzoil ultra be good? Or might i experience hard starts?

Attachments

• IMG_20221008_220442.jpg
    IMG_20221008_220442.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 38
Thanks! I wanted too ask because past,I used dino 5 w30 ,quaker state.1996-1999 era. 18 degree mornings the oil took 3_4 seconds too coat everything.not to mediately.the noise the pistons,engine made no bueno. So made me think.mwould 10 w30 synthetic be same,similar since it was less VI index improvers too flow faster.

Thanks! I wanted too ask because past,I used dino 5 w30 ,quaker state.1996-1999 era. 18 degree mornings the oil took 3_4 seconds too coat everything.not to mediately.the noise the pistons,engine made no bueno. So made me think.mwould 10 w30 synthetic be same,similar since it was less VI index improvers too flow faster.
Have you read the responses in this thread?

Hi all I have some Pennzoil ultra synthetic I bought on clearance at autozone,2013. Got 2 bottles 5w30, 3 10w30. 4.5 quart sump.wanna use them this coming oil change. I seen thier data sheets... Minus 49 F pour point!. That's the 10w30. Temps here january,Feb lows 9-13 degrees F. Uve read of others,who some only,had engine lock up with Mobil one ep 10w30. At minus 13 F. I learned years ago,using dino 5w30 in this,caused problems at 13 degrees outside. You could hear the posting mooo noise,took seconds for that oil too pump n.lubricate. Quaker state dino.or car wouldn't turn over.90,stop early 2000s. Think 10w30 Ultra will be fine?
Hi all I have some Pennzoil ultra synthetic I bought on clearance at autozone,2013. Got 2 bottles 5w30, 3 10w30. 4.5 quart sump.wanna use them this coming oil change. I seen thier data sheets... Minus 49 F pour point!. That's the 10w30. Temps here january,Feb lows 9-13 degrees F. Uve read of others,who some only,had engine lock up with Mobil one ep 10w30. At minus 13 F. I learned years ago,using dino 5w30 in this,caused problems at 13 degrees outside. You could hear the posting mooo noise,took seconds for that oil too pump n.lubricate. Quaker state dino.or car wouldn't turn over.90,stop early 2000s. Think 10w30 Ultra will be fine?
yes it beat Amsoil in the cold flow so did regular platinum on that guy on YouTube who promotes Amsoil.
Amsoil is great at clearance or discount prices but that’s about it. I have a motorcycle shop that I buy my metric Amsoil for my bike. They only charge dealer price on Amsoil. So that’s 13 bucks a quart vs 16 Amsoil is asking for. Otherwise I only use Platinum and Ultra

That's not extreme winter cold! :unsure:

Here in my part of Canada -10f and lower are extreme.🥶

I think it would be okay to use Pennzoil ultra synthetic 10w30 (that's a thin 10w30) in your temps.

At -10 I wouldn’t start the car with out a blanket or a oil pan heating pad. Period. Even the oil on bearings are thick.

Let me get this straight, using a mix of 10w30 [-49 pour point] and 5w30 at temps down to 9F?
No brainer, of course it's good.
In the 60s,70s and 80's 10w30 was the #1 oil, and North America, north of Tennessee, did not come to a stop in the winter
Still is. It’s what I use in platinum an ultra a 40 weight.
The answer is no. Per your title an oil with a 10W winter rating is not appropriate for extreme winter cold.

And it doesn’t matter what the base stocks are, the rating is a performance specification and if the oil exceeds the requirements for that specification then it must be labeled with the superior rating. If you had a failure of any oil with a 5W rating at 13 degrees then there was either an existing problem with the engine or defective oil. Even an oil with a 20W rating will pump at that temperature. An oil with a 5W winter rating is guaranteed to be pumpable down to a temperature of about -30 regardless of the base stock composition.

Also pour point is not an accurate metric for cranking and pumpability of the oil. You can have an oil with a very low pour point yet fail the requirements for a specific winter rating as you see here. It doesn’t mean it’s a bad oil but it does illustrate why pour point is an inferior metric for cold weather performance. Forget the data sheet and read what’s printed on the front of the container.
Have you seen tutorials with oil at those temps. It looks thicker than Lucas heavy oil stabilizer and that stuff is thick. In -30 I’m not starting a vehicle with out a blanket or oil at 20 degree temp.

Still is. It’s what I use in platinum an ultra a 40 weight.

Have you seen tutorials with oil at those temps. It looks thicker than Lucas heavy oil stabilizer and that stuff is thick. In -30 I’m not starting a vehicle with out a blanket or oil at 20 degree temp.
Meh, done it all my life, has never had an observable negative impact on any of my vehicles. I will say that our Expedition struggled to roll over fast enough to start at -30C with 5W-30 Pennzoil in it, swapped it back out for 0W-30 after that adventure.

At those temps, you are fine. My record cold start is -38F not plugged in with conventional 10
w-40 in the sump. Mopar 318 barely turned over at first, but did start and run. That was in the early 70's.

Because? It's been in the ground millions of years, what's a few years on the shelf after being refined and processed into sealed bottles going to hurt? Does it have an expiration date on it?
I agree....I've had excellent UOAs on oils much older than that 10w30 Ultra which I believe is SN rated.

I agree....I've had excellent UOAs on oils much older than that 10w30 Ultra which I believe is SN rated.
The biggest issue isn’t the base stock of the oil. It’s the additives which can break down if left not used. Some react with metals to create a molecular bond and with out start to degrade. Base stocks like stated will last for ever. It’s why gear oil has no exp date. As it doesn’t have a lot of additives that motor oil has.

Back