Pennzoil rebate question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there.
I've used PP for the last 3-4 oil changes and always was able to get a $10 check back from their rebate center which is great,
but I'm just curious why they're willing to do that? My cost for a decent full synthetic goes down from $22 to $12, but isn't it a loss for them?
My observation is they have this rebate every quarter.
Is there any catch I'm missing or it's just an aggressive marketing?

The rebate offers make them look like a low-cost option, and for folks who actually submit a rebate request, they are. I assume that most buyers simply don't avail themselves of the rebates, regardless, and the companies that offer them know this to be actuarially true. That's why they offer a seemingly generous rebate instead of a lower base price---but I'd be pretty sure that they (and all of the intervening middle-men) make money on every sale. Can you say "mark-up"?

The vast majority of consumers don't bother with rebates. The few minutes it takes to get that $10 is just too much for them.

On the flip side, I would guess that Shell uses the info from consumers signing up for the rebate and sells it to third parties. That's common practice.

Any news about the same rebates for year 2019? I have tried to ask them on their Facebook page and they said still got no information yet.

You are living well. When I submit a rebate I get a check with a rare spelling of my last name thus I can not cash the check.

They like to play games. I have had problems with them. One time I got a screaming deal on jugs, So the weasels apparently decided I only deserved a rebate for a quart per jug I purchased.

Never EVER a problem with XOM. One time I got a bunch of Mobil 1 for less than free with the M1 Truck & SUV clearance

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Petabytes
They have already updated the rebate ended date for year 2018 to 2019. You can submit right now.

Do you have a link for their rebate page?

I get this,"There are no current promotions"

Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 8.28.09 PM.png

I sent in for the allotted two rebates on 5qt jugs per customer. This was end of January. Only received one of them to date.

Originally Posted by FA_WRX
I sent in for the allotted two rebates on 5qt jugs per customer. This was end of January. Only received one of them to date.

Well welcome to the Suxszoil Club.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back