Pennzoil/Quaker State Conv. NOT API certified

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Garak
Agreed. 40 weights will not have a Starburst up front, and if they do, they are claiming something they cannot. Look for the API Donut on the back. You're not going to find ILSAC compliance in a 40, so don't even bother looking for it. Some 30 and 20 grade HM oils are ILSAC certified, but not all.

Valvoline really needs to get the Starburst off the front of the 10w-40. That's nonsensical and they should get their knuckles rapped for that one. And nice Canadian style price on the MaxLife. I wouldn't even consider paying that much for it.

^This.

I could be wrong, but I think this whole mess of a thread is Valvoline's fault... it looks to me like they made a mistake by putting the starburst on the front of their 10W-40, and hopefully they have fixed the issue : )

IMO, there is a BITOG lesson to be learned here as well... Sometimes manufacturers make mistakes, so we need to be careful quoting every published specification and every product label as absolute gospel.

Has anyone called Valvoline regarding the API starburst on that maxlife 10w-40 product. I'd love to hear the answer they give.

...um and I think the OP takes photos a lot like GHT.
whistle.gif
crackmeup2.gif
36.gif

Originally Posted By: Flareside302
I understand y'all see this alot with people trollin. But I was not..

I certainly respect that you weren't trolling, and the photos did help clear things up. That's the situation we run across where we get incomplete information. You mention Pennzoil, paraffin, and lack of API certification in the same post in this place, you're going to get blasted. That's rule number one of BITOG, I think.
wink.gif

As for API gasoline certification, much less ILSAC certification, if you're outside of the 20 or 30 grades, it isn't much of an issue, particularly if you're using a reasonable oil. If I wanted a 20w-50 for some reason, I'd probably grab GTX since it's probably the most readily available 20w-50 up here. I wouldn't even bother looking to see if it's SM or SN. It's GTX, made by a major, and I don't own anything or know of anything around here requiring a 20w-50 with SN certification. If it were something I never heard of (or a 5w-30 or something), then I'd pay closer attention.

And we can't fault you too hard. Owners manuals sometimes call for impossible things. Manuals have called for 5w-40 conventionals and 40 grades with an ILSAC rating. Rubbish.

As for the paraffin issue, that's another matter. Oils were worse in decades past. And, anyone who deals with ruined engines or sick people knows that they lie. "I swear, I changed the oil every 3,000 miles. I quit smoking a year ago, and exercise every day and twice on Sundays."

@antiqueshell: I would consider sending an email to Valvoline or calling about it, but you know what's going to happen. Some customer service person whose only knowledge of motor oil is that it's the revenue stream that allows him to work is going to respond and make some gibberish answer and everything will go in circles. It's almost worth a mention to API or ILSAC more than anything else.

Flareside302, Three general rules here at BITOG;

1. Don't ask 5W20 VS 5W30 questions.
2. Don't bash 5W20 oil.
3. This one will get you in most trouble here;
Don't tease the "multiple OCIs on one filter" members!
"One Filter, One OCI!"

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
"One Filter, One OCI!"

I'm sorry, but you've created this whole mess all by yourself.

Next time, you might want to be more clear whether you're serious or just teasing.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
"One Filter, One OCI!"

I'm sorry, but you've created this whole mess all by yourself.

Next time, you might want to be more clear whether you're serious or just teasing.
smile.gif

The answer is, Yes.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
You forgot one... Don't dare say anything bad about Mobil 1.

Oh yeah KC, sorry about that.
But, you have to admit, #3 is the Cardinal sin here.
28.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back