Pennzoil Platinums disappearing from local Walmarts

I ordered a 5 quart bottle of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W20 from Amazon on May 17. It was back-ordered and finally delivered on June 14th. I've only seen PUP for sale at my local Walmart years ago when it first came out. I buy a bottle every time they have the 10% off sale on Amazon. I can't find it anywhere cheaper. Its either in low supply or high demand. Our local Walmarts have a ton of Castrol oil. I always thought it was because their headquarter are a few miles away.

Some people are missing the point. Its not about shelf space. As I mentioned, there is a big wide and tall empty section where the Pennzoil Platinums once were. No effort to replace them or reassign the space for another product. And this is happening at every local Walmart. Like 5 different stores. Its as if there is no stock available. One of the stores put a few bottles of old product out they sourced from... somewhere. I noticed an old label and checked the production date... June, 2018.

I don't watch much broadcast TV anymore....for those that do, try to keep a mental inventory of any oil commericials.

If you never see Pennz Platinum anymore despite seeing adverts for peers, HQ may have decided to devote their resources away from platinum to Pennz's other lines.

Pennz will still sell enough Platinum via online as a niche product to be profitable with zero advertising support and zero shelf space support.

Some people are missing the point. Its not about shelf space. As I mentioned, there is a big wide and tall empty section where the Pennzoil Platinums once were. No effort to replace them or reassign the space for another product. And this is happening at every local Walmart. Like 5 different stores. Its as if there is no stock available. One of the stores put a few bottles of old product out they sourced from... somewhere. I noticed an old label and checked the production date... June, 2018.
No I didnt miss your point. Not sure what Walmarts you shop at but all the local ones by me change the oil aisle pretty much monthly. The oil is never in the same spot. Same aisle but different spot. I've seen some of the brands go down to nothing, disappear for a few weeks and then fully stocked.

so i went to my non-Walmart mega-lo mart and yup, it too looks like the Pennz Plat isn't being restocked (prime shelf space, right at eye level) .

Just the Pennz Plat space looked like it was straight out of 1985 USSR. Mobil 1 and Valvoline sections were fully stocked.

All the aisle price tags had a 4/15/2021 date.

But the Autozone I went to yesterday had plenty of Pennz Plat, shelves looked normal. Bought 1 qt bottle as I handed over my milk jug of used oil.

I have never seen PUP for sale anywhere. Makes me wonder why they even make it. I haven't seen it for sale since way back in the day of the original Ultra.
It was sold inhouse at Walmart here a while back, predating the GTL versions. But haven't seen it in five years or more..

Pennz will still sell enough Platinum via online as a niche product to be profitable with zero advertising support and zero shelf space support.
Niche product? Pennzoil Ultra Platinum could be considered a niche product. The regular Platinum sales are measured in the millions of gallons. Regardless if you currently see it on the shelves of your local big box, I think it's safe to say Platinum sales alone are greater than the sales of the entire line of lubes of many boutique blenders.

I have never seen PUP for sale anywhere. Makes me wonder why they even make it. I haven't seen it for sale since way back in the day of the original Ultra.
I think that is the cachet of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. You have to order it on-line. Snob appeal. But it does keep my engine crazy clean.

I think that is the cachet of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. You have to order it on-line. Snob appeal. But it does keep my engine crazy clean.
I had a customer who loved Ultra for his car. His customers got regular Platinum, which he bought by the drum. He got the Ultra for free.

Went to Walmart to pick up my order for the new Valvoline extended performance I ordered yesterday. Went inside and saw the normal usual amount of Pennzoil platinum available. It must be a local thing at your Walmart.

Every time I shop at Walmart I keep tabs on Pennzoil Platinum availability and prices. I've been noticing for months that the PPs have been dwindling at all my local Walmarts. I check several stores within 20 miles. There were literally only 2 jugs in a local store yesterday and there is a large empty place where they were. Also, I haven't seen Ultra Platinum of any sort for YEARS at Walmart.
Anyone know why this is?
Same at my local Walmart, no Platinum and just a few jugs of the new Pennzoil "Full Synthetic" (no Dexos approval) relabeled Quaker State.

Well I’ve been lucky enough to have it stocked around here. The only problem I’ve had is that whomever stocks it thinks that Platinum and the black label synthetic are the same, so I have to dig around to find what I need because it’s hidden sometimes. 😒

Back