Pennzoil Platinums disappearing from local Walmarts

Every time I shop at Walmart I keep tabs on Pennzoil Platinum availability and prices. I've been noticing for months that the PPs have been dwindling at all my local Walmarts. I check several stores within 20 miles. There were literally only 2 jugs in a local store yesterday and there is a large empty place where they were. Also, I haven't seen Ultra Platinum of any sort for YEARS at Walmart.
Anyone know why this is?

My local Wally (Fishkill, NY) has always had a weak stocking of Pennzoil. Heavy Mobil 1, Castrol, and of course Super Tech.

They sell what people buy. Why would you waste shelf space on something that does not sell well? Stock it with what is going out the door.
Although I agree on principle what is your theory on why they still have royal purple on shelves? All of my local Walmart’s have it and I think I’ve seen maybe two jugs missing in two years.

Just my opinion…
Seen the same thing.
Independent shops buy from Walmart because of lower price. I’d bet jobber prices on PP are higher than Walmart. Send Joe down to Walmart and buy all the PP 5w30 on the shelf.

I’ve definitely noticed the 10W-30 (my favorite viscosity of PPPP) disappearing.

Like someone above said, the PPHM is abundant.

I had a run into town today.

our Walmart was completely out of PP with some PPHM.

tractor supply was totally out of PP
Orscheln farm and home was out of PP
Atwood’s had one 5 quart Jug of 5w30 PP

I live in southwest Missouri which is definitely Walmart country. They're are 8 super Walmart's within a 30 minute drive from my house. That being said they are all slightly different on what oil and how much they carry. One has a small selection, not many viscosities, while another one near me carries valvoline, Pennzoil, Castrol, Royal Purple, Mobil One, SuperTech, Quaker State, European model versions, Havoline SmartChange boxes, all of then in every viscoity you could want. I think it just depeneds on what the store feels like carrying. For instance the one I mentioned above is the only one out of the eight that carries the Havoline 6qt smartchange boxes.

My store cut out pretty much all the conventional options aside from Quaker State and the 1qt Supertech bottles. They still offer QS and Pennzoil in the TLE shop, though

1. brickseek dot com for Walmart inventory (thanks to the poster here who made me aware of the site)

2. (dunno about walmart specifically) in the old days, it is common for retailers to assign each store to a tier, and each tier gets assigned different product and pricing. Now with fancier software/analytics each Walmart probably gets a customized inventory based on sales history.

3. Amazon. I'd bet that Amazon captures a big bulk of 5 quart sales. Walmart might have decided that it wasn't worth stocking platinum.

4 check out camelcamelcamel dot com to track the price of whatever you want at Amazon.

Some people are missing the point. Its not about shelf space. As I mentioned, there is a big wide and tall empty section where the Pennzoil Platinums once were. No effort to replace them or reassign the space for another product. And this is happening at every local Walmart. Like 5 different stores. Its as if there is no stock available. One of the stores put a few bottles of old product out they sourced from... somewhere. I noticed an old label and checked the production date... June, 2018.

Back