Pennzoil Platinum vs Ultra Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is overwhelming and confusing to see the product comparison especially with upcoming SN Plus certification.
So it seems PUP is no longer the best for turbocharged engine due to LSPI issue.I am wondering if for non turbocharged engine, whether A5-12 cert on PUP kinda proof that the oil is better than standard PP GF-5 SN-RC.
The other interesting part is PP 5w-20 has better pour point and viscosity at -30C compared to PP 0w-20, so what should be deduced ?

Just wonder if there is other durability property to be considered between PP and PUP ?
Thank you

Unless you see actual data from Pennzoil, and not the typical canned replies from them or info easily obtained on the www, [PDS] all you're going to get is opinions, some stated as facts. Subscribed.

I just bought Ultra Platinum for my Elantra since it was cheaper than Pennzoil Platinum. Pennzoil lists Pennzoil Ultra Plantinum as Premium, Pennzoil Gold as Standard, and Pennzoil Platinum as alternative,

Oil Selector

For my application they think it is better, but why? Subscribed.

I always thought they used more or additional additives that keep the engine cleaner..as per their claims of it keeping engines x % cleaner. Again, thats not official. I havent searched but do we have a VOA of both identical weights to compare in terms of add pack?

Originally Posted By: kr_bitog
It is overwhelming and confusing to see the product comparison especially with upcoming SN Plus certification.

Well, the reality is that you, as an automotive consumer, will never experience any difference in using these two products.

Not in engine wear, not in gas mileage, not in oil longevity in the sump, not in cold start characteristics, not in high heat performance.

Why not?

Because the typical automotive consumer doesn't experience the high heat, high load, extended duty cycle situations which are required to measure a discernable difference.

As a result, you are left to peruse the marketing materials provided by the OEM, which are specifically written to be non-specific.

Given that, what is a consumer to do?
Read your owners manual, follow the recommendation for specification, viscosity, and change interval.

If you're feeling the itch to deviate from the OEM spec, then go with an SN+ oil once it's available here in a few short weeks. (Which, ironically, takes PUP out of the running for consideration).

That's it.

Nothing more.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Unless you see actual data from Pennzoil, and not the typical canned replies from them or info easily obtained on the www, [PDS] all you're going to get is opinions, some stated as facts. Subscribed.

+1.

Originally Posted By: Imp4
kr_bitog said:

Well, the reality is that you, as an automotive consumer, will never experience any difference in using these two products.

Not in engine wear, not in gas mileage, not in oil longevity in the sump, not in cold start characteristics, not in high heat performance.

Why not?

Because the typical automotive consumer doesn't experience the high heat, high load, extended duty cycle situations which are required to measure a discernable difference.

As a result, you are left to peruse the marketing materials provided by the OEM, which are specifically written to be non-specific.

Given that, what is a consumer to do?
Read your owners manual, follow the recommendation for specification, viscosity, and change interval.

If you're feeling the itch to deviate from the OEM spec, then go with an SN+ oil once it's available here in a few short weeks. (Which, ironically, takes PUP out of the running for consideration).

That's it.

Nothing more.

[/quote

Exactly.

Last edited:
I have purchased PYB for many years but today I don't buy Pennzoil products
Not a fan of their elusive marketing scheme.....

Ultra Platinum used to be Pennzoil's "flagship" product but lately it seems to be the victim of neglect. Having a GDI engine with timing chain, PUP's lack of Dexo1 Gen2 certification is a concern. For this reason, I will be switching from PUP to PP the next oil change.

Ultra is the albino deer. Many of us cannot find in stores. It must be a regional thing. PP is everywhere and a very good oil in its own right.

Originally Posted By: turnbowm
Ultra Platinum used to be Pennzoil's "flagship" product but lately it seems to be the victim of neglect.

Right now we are experiencing a pricing inversion at Wally's (and likely Amazon) in which PUP is $24.97 and PP is $27.76.
The flagship is less expensive than the 'standard' offering.

Pricing inversions are usually pretty complex but boil down to a combination of over supply, under demand, AND inventory holdings at multiple points within the supply chain.

Not enough people want it, somebody (or multiple somebodies) have too much of it in too many places, and those somebodies are likely trying to decrease inventory carrying costs.

These things often occur around products that must comply to an industry specification where the old product won't meet the new requirement.

'Clean it out!!!' they'll say. And it's at that point that you can get a premium product for a song.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Ultra is the albino deer. Many of us cannot find in stores.

Right now today it is available at Walmart.com
Buy a pallet full if you'd like.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Ultra is the albino deer. Many of us cannot find in stores. It must be a regional thing. PP is everywhere and a very good oil in its own right.

Have never seen PUP in the wild. Have always had to order it from Walmart.com with local store pickup. It's hard to understand Pennzoil's marketing strategy on this product and I think it's days are numbered.

Pennzoil says Ultra is their best oil...so? One believes them or don't. If you need certain mfg. approvals then Platinum has more/current ones. Why mfg. choose to not get certain mfg. approvals on their oils when we believe they can pass the tests is a question often asked here. As stated above..Pennzoil says cleaner is better.
Cleaner

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
I just bought Ultra Platinum for my Elantra since it was cheaper than Pennzoil Platinum. Pennzoil lists Pennzoil Ultra Plantinum as Premium, Pennzoil Gold as Standard, and Pennzoil Platinum as alternative,

Oil Selector

I think they show that for every newer application, both my 07 Crown Vic and 10 Escape showed that on their oil selector.

Why wouldn’t Shell pick the more expensive Ultra for your Elantra? They do list further down that PP and Gold can be used. Good luck finding the Gold anywhere.

While it is cheaper than PP I will continue to buy. Walmart makes it easy. Two jugs shipped to door. Rebate makes it around $3 per quart.

After having an oil burning Saturn with coked oil control rings cleaner is better.

While it is cheaper than PP I will continue to buy. Walmart makes it easy. Two jugs shipped to door. Rebate makes it around $3 per quart.

After having an oil burning Saturn with coked oil control rings cleaner is better.

I'm going to stick with it too for the time being. According to their website it is still touted as their "best" oil. When WMT rolls it back and that coincides with a rebate I stock up. I have enough on hand to wait for that opportunity to present itself again. Odds are it will, if not, I move on.

Oil Selector

they stated the same thing fo my NX too! why would the Gold which is a blend be better rated than the platinum?

Run Pennz Platinum Gen2 in my 2017 Regal GS 2.0T with confidence, redisgned for Turbos.
thumbsup2.gif

http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/products/full-synthetic-motor-oils/pennzoil-platinum.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back