Pennzoil Platinum 10W30, 3500 miles, 05 Subaru Legacy GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
An oil analysis from last fall, never posted it. Pennzoil Platinum, lots of short trips, oil was changed after a mile drive to someplace flat. Gonna get the current PP checked when I take it out in a month or so, curious what high heat and mostly highway miles has done to it. Might give Castrol 0W30 a try, just to have something a little thicker during the fall and a few driving events I plan on attending. Looks like the oil sheared down to a heavy 20-weight.

==============================
Nothing unusual showed up in the first sample from your Subaru. It's still fairly new at 10,200total miles and that is the reason copper and silicon are still above average. Both are common in newengines and it takes a few oil changes to get them washed out completely. Universal averages showtypical wear from this type of engine after 4,500-5,000 miles on the oil. You called the fuel. This levelisn't a problem and will likely disappear next sample. The TBN was still strong at 5.7, so the oil has
plenty of life left. 1.0 is too low. Try 5,000 miles on the next oil.

MI/HR ON OIL 3,500
MI/HR ON UNIT 10,200

ALUMINUM 3
CHROMIUM 1
IRON 6
COPPER 17
LEAD 2
TIN 2
MOLYBDENUM 47
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE 0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 1
BORON 7
SILICON 15
SODIUM 2
CALCIUM 2088
MAGNESIUM 10
PHOSPHORUS 623
ZINC 702
BARIUM 0

SUS VISCOSITY @ 210 ºF 55.3
FLASHPOINT IN ºF 345
FUEL % 1.0
ANTIFREEZE % 0.0
WATER % 0.0
INSOLUBLES % 0.3

I suspect if you'd run 5,000 or 6,000 miles, that SUS viscosity would've approached or been back to the expected value. At just 3,500 miles, that oil wasn't even on its second wind, yet. The elevated silicon levels are most likely due to harmless silicones leaching out of sealants rather than dirt intrusion. The analysis only picks up the elemental presence, not the actual formulation and its intended use.

I'm sure your owner's manual recommends 5W-30 for your engine. I'd use that. If you're using Pennzoil Platinum, which is a synthetic oil, I'd go at least 6,000 mi. on it. Your owner's manual probably recommends 7,500 mi. normal service (as against severe service) oil changes, and that's with dino oil, tho I'd never run dino oil over 5,000 mi.

Subaru rod bearings... Seen enough cases of spun ones to have me concerned down the road at higher power levels.

In terms of metal in oil, anybody know type of metal used in Subaru turbo motor for rod bearings?

Is a spun bearing more about oil film being too thin and letting metal-to-metal contact, or more a question of running low oil/oil pressure?

BB,

If this engine has an oil cooler, that's probably the source of most of this copper. The analysis also shows some slight bearing wear, but nothing unusual for an almost new engine.

Insolubles are a bit elevated due to fuel related contamination. I'd keep an eye on that if you gradually increase service intervals.

Copper thrust bearings are used on Mitsubishi turbochargers, which your Sub has (TD04L - 13T I believe). If that's where the copper is coming from, I wouldn't worry, as Mitsubishi turbochargers are built like a TANK.

I'd say a spun bearing would be caused more form lack of oil flow then anything else, like flying around a corner and having all the oil slosh to one side and uncover the oil pump pickup.

When you say higher power levels, are mods in order down the road?
cheers.gif
Get that weeny factory turbo off there. The Mighty Forced Performance "Green" would sure put a smile on your face the first time it spools!

[ August 01, 2006, 11:03 PM: Message edited by: Drew99GT ]

I've got two months/2100 miles on the PP 5W-30 in the car now. Why the **** am I so tempted to drain it and through in some GC that I got yesterday? Grrr...

New turbo is down the road, for now, just tuned and some pipe replacement, good for 243/299 to the wheels.

VF40 is the OEM turbo, a more decent match for the 2.5L versus the tiny TD04 on the new WRX/Forester XT/Baja turbo.

quote:

Originally posted by Beanboy:
I've got two months/2100 miles on the PP 5W-30 in the car now. Why the **** am I so tempted to drain it and through in some GC that I got yesterday? Grrr...

You are now oficially a BITOGer
wink.gif

My bad on the turbo stuff.

quote:

Originally posted by Beanboy:
An oil analysis from last fall, never posted it. Pennzoil Platinum, lots of short trips, oil was changed after a mile drive to someplace flat. Gonna get the current PP checked when I take it out in a month or so, curious what high heat and mostly highway miles has done to it. Might give Castrol 0W30 a try, just to have something a little thicker during the fall and a few driving events I plan on attending. Looks like the oil sheared down to a heavy 20-weight.

I make lots of short trips as well, and I'm thinking of going with something thinner than GC during winter (or just cutting back on my OCI) because of high fuel.

GC UOA in Forester XT at 7,500 miles.

Hmm, PP or GC on a 6k OCI? I would feel like I was cheating on the elves if I didn't run GC.
smile.gif

-Dennis

Why are you using a synthetic oil and then changing it at only 3300 miles?? $19.99 Jiffy Lube will give the same results.

LOL it will give the same performance as Jiffy Lube? It sounds like he changes the oil himself. I think he should stick to what he wants to do and stay away from the fast lube places and especially Jiffy Lube. But I do agree he could go longer. However I know how he feels, I have 5 quarts of GC waiting for me and I only have about 1300 miles on some good oil thats in there now and I want to drain it now.

Did a dusty rallycross on the oil and had upped the power by 20% a month or so before the change, then my 'usual' driving. Figured it would be an okay test of the oil, and was just curious.

Waiting longer on the PP I have in there now after long summer of driving into mountains, and will probably end with a rallycross on it before changing, with close to 5K on it.

No sense in further-testing this EOP stuff - because it's been discontinued by Shell. Platinum is now a Group III oil. There's a flashpoint thread with a discussion on it at the Car and Truck Gas Engine Oil Board.

Yeah, I saw that... Going GC next anyway. Will get one done minus TBN just to see how the engine finally broke-in.

quote:

Originally posted by Triple_Se7en:
No sense in further-testing this EOP stuff - because it's been discontinued by Shell. Platinum is now a Group III oil. There's a flashpoint thread with a discussion on it at the Car and Truck Gas Engine Oil Board.

Link to that thread please.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by BlazerLT:

quote:

smile.gif

It disappeared into the invisible cyberspace air on Sunday.

Like a Ghost - it's gone ... probably forever!

Likely a sign by the administration here at BITOG that too much speculation was brewing on this subject.

I'll just comply with the BITOG's actions and just let the sleeping dog alone.

I'm done on this Platinum discussion. I had no useful-concrete info anyways... just speculation.

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by BlazerLT:

quote:

smile.gif

It disappeared into the invisible cyberspace air on Sunday.

Like a Ghost - it's gone ... probably forever!

Likely a sign by the administration here at BITOG that too much speculation was brewing on this subject.

I'll just comply with the BITOG's actions and just let the sleeping dog alone.

I'm done on this Platinum discussion. I had no useful-concrete info anyways... just speculation.

This thread?

PP flash point change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back