Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-20, 2021 Ram 1500 3.6L E-Torque Pentastar w/ 52,068 miles, 9,431 Mile OCI

I sent a sample in at my last oil change and just got this back from Blackstone. I thought I would share.

2021 Bighorn 1500 4x4 3.6L E-Torque Pentastar
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w20
Sampled at 52,068 miles
9,431 miles on oil - The vast majority being highway miles, with ~300 miles of towing a 7k lb travel trailer.
No additives or makeup oil added
Ran oil about 400 miles past Oil Life meter showing 0%

Lab says the PUP was still good to go and could last another ~2k but I’m gunna swap at no more than 10k regardless, just for the sake of getting a fresh oil filter in there if nothing else.

BTW, Blackstone took 5 weeks from the delivery of the oil sample to get me this report. I wasn’t in a hurry, but just something to keep in mind if you are.

IMG_3938.jpeg

Last edited:
I would've expected the Si to settle a lot closer to the universal average by 50k miles. I'd check your airbox for dust just in case.

Iron seems fairly high as well considering all the highway driving without much towing. I don't know what OCI the universal averages are based on though.

Good looking report overall. Oil seems to have held up well. Wear metal appear to be in check, while the iron does seem higher then typical for the Pentastar. The high silicon could be causing the high iron but it could also just be normal for your engine. So I would definitely check the air intake seals and clamps to make sure they are tight. But other than that, I think you're safe to continue following the OLM and resample if you like to compare.

I sent a sample in at my last oil change and just got this back from Blackstone. I thought I would share.

2021 Bighorn 1500 4x4 3.6L E-Torque Pentastar
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w20
Sampled at 52,068 miles
9,431 miles on oil - The vast majority being highway miles, with ~300 miles of towing a 7k lb travel trailer.
No additives or makeup oil added
Ran oil about 400 miles past Oil Life meter showing 0%

Lab says the PUP was still good to go and could last another ~2k but I’m gunna swap at no more than 10k regardless, just for the sake of getting a fresh oil filter in there if nothing else.

BTW, Blackstone took 5 weeks from the delivery of the oil sample to get me this report. I wasn’t in a hurry, but just something to keep in mind if you are.

View attachment 197329
There's no way the silicon is from break-in at 52k miles. I'd check your air filter.

The viscosity has thickened up to 30 grade. Yeah, there's still plenty of TBN but Blackstone does not test for oxidation, and that may have increased enough that it trumps TBN.

The iron still seems awfully high, even for 9431 miles. What mileage are the universal averages based off of? It should be on your first analysis report. The other wear metals look great.

There's no way the silicon is from break-in at 52k miles. I'd check your air filter.

The viscosity has thickened up to 30 grade. Yeah, there's still plenty of TBN but Blackstone does not test for oxidation, and that may have increased enough that it trumps TBN.

The iron still seems awfully high, even for 9431 miles. What mileage are the universal averages based off of? It should be on your first analysis report. The other wear metals look great.
Oh good call! I didn’t think to look on the OG report. 7200 miles for baselines.

Hello!
Why is that?
0w20 is on the oil fill cap and the only viscosity recommended for this engine in the manual.
Thanks!
IMO and the opinion of people who know a lot more about oil than I do, it's a better choice for that engine. Hot topic, and opinions will vary. I suggest you search the archives, a lot has been written about thick vs. thin, MOFT, HTHS, etc. Also check your air filter and the related air filter plumbing.

Nice!

Has there ever really been a bad UOA from a Pentastar? These engines hold a lot of oil for their size, have oil cooling, etc.

How do you like your pentastar powered Ram? I had a 2017 quad cab 4x4 and loved it.

This engine would show significantly better results sealing the air box and using the thin 5w30 Pennzoil Platinum @ 6k OCIs. You wouldn't even need to hunt for the Ultra Platinum.

Last edited:
Depending on if you've done these 10k mile oil changes it may still have some silicon left still working its way out. The next 10k sample if the silicon doesn't come down at all then suspect air filter box or tubing track. Take a look around to double check anyways. Good run!

IMO and the opinion of people who know a lot more about oil than I do, it's a better choice for that engine. Hot topic, and opinions will vary. I suggest you search the archives, a lot has been written about thick vs. thin, MOFT, HTHS, etc. Also check your air filter and the related air filter plumbing.
Will do some research. Thanks!

Nice!

Has there ever really been a bad UOA from a Pentastar? These engines hold a lot of oil for their size, have oil cooling, etc.

How do you like your pentastar powered Ram? I had a 2017 quad cab 4x4 and loved it.
I absolutely love my 3.6l etorque. It rides smooth, is dead quiet inside, and gives great gas mileage on the freeway (~24mpg with cruise control @70). I also tow a (properly set up and verified on CAT scales) 7k lb trailer with it and it never misses a beat.

Oh good call! I didn’t think to look on the OG report. 7200 miles for baselines.
So your iron is *almost* double universal averages. BS, I believe, flags results that exceed double, so that's why your iron result isn't bolded by them.
40/9.431 = 4.24ppm per 1000 mi
16/7.2 = 2.22ppm per 1000 mi

I might do a 5k run next and shoot for the following:
-Iron of 11 or less
-Silicon (after checking/changing air filter) closer to 13ppm
-viscosity <9.3 if continuing with this oil

The iron is v. high...4.24 ppm/1k miles. Si is v. high. This UOA isn't great. I'd just reduce the OCI. Folks are talking about a 30 grade...sure...you can try it and see if there are any improvements or just knock the OCI back to 5-6K with the 20...

8br5q4.jpg

Last edited:
I would've expected the Si to settle a lot closer to the universal average by 50k miles. I'd check your airbox for dust just in case.

Iron seems fairly high as well considering all the highway driving without much towing. I don't know what OCI the universal averages are based on though.
This.

Hello!

I’ve been doing a lot of research on this. I believe I even found the individuals you are referring to, including an engineer on the first generation PentaStar. It seems like the Generation 1 PentaStar was designed for the heavier oil, and the change to lighter weight recommendation was driven solely by efficiency requirements. However second generation engine they started phasing in around 2016 was redesigned specifically for 0w20.

Take it with a grain of salt, just what I’m pulling together.

Regardless, it seems like the PentaStar will have a long service life with any decent oil and regular changes when the oil life monitor says to.

Hello!

I’ve been doing a lot of research on this. I believe I even found the individuals you are referring to, including an engineer on the first generation PentaStar. It seems like the Generation 1 PentaStar was designed for the heavier oil, and the change to lighter weight recommendation was driven solely by efficiency requirements. However second generation engine they started phasing in around 2016 was redesigned specifically for 0w20.

Take it with a grain of salt, just what I’m pulling together.

Regardless, it seems like the PentaStar will have a long service life with any decent oil and regular changes when the oil life monitor says to.
Even with the PUG upgrade many people in the know are still recommending an XW30 for it. Opinions will vary. I'm hoping to order either a 2024 JLU RubiconX or a 2025 depending on how things work out. I will be running either 0W30 or 5W30 in it for sure.

Back