Pennzoil 0W-20 MOPAR Factory Fill, 2021 Ram 1500 3.6L E-Torque Pentastar, 3,007 Miles

Just got this back from Blackstone and thought I would share.

2021 Bighorn 1500 4x4 3.6L E-Torque Pentastar
Factory Pennzoil 0w20 fill
Sample taken 4 months almost to the day from purchase
3007 Miles
155 Total Hours,
65 Hours Idling
90 Hours Driving
Oil Life meter showed 56%
9E230C31-4364-4EBB-8A27-97AAE1F8709C.jpeg

CA levels are fairly high, I am surprised that FCA is not using a SN+/SP type oil as factory fill.

Also, I am surprised by your total hour count. My 20 5.7 eTorque has 12.1K and is at 336 hrs total with about 11% being from idling. I think the miles are about 50/50 city and highway.

CA levels are fairly high, I am surprised that FCA is not using a SN+/SP type oil as factory fill.

Also, I am surprised by your total hour count. My 20 5.7 eTorque has 12.1K and is at 336 hrs total with about 11% being from idling. I think the miles are about 50/50 city and highway.
I work in field supervision in Texas and Florida, and I spend a lot of time waiting on workers, deliveries and inspectors. My truck is my office ~20% of the time. I try to not idle more than needed, but some days it’s just too dang hot to just roll the windows down.

The high Moly (assembly lube or additive pkg) takes care of that CA level for LSPI purposes.

I wouldn't pretend to guess which API category it is, but the Moly content should make the OP rest easy if LSPI is a concern.

I wouldn't pretend to guess which API category it is, but the Moly content should make the OP rest easy if LSPI is a concern.
No one brought up LSPI except for you. This is a port-injected 3.6L engine. I was just surprised to see the high CA content.

No one brought up LSPI except for you. This is a port-injected 3.6L engine. I was just surprised to see the high CA content.
Understood, but when you say surprised it's not SP or SN+, the main (not only) objective of each of those categories (supplement) is mitigation of LSPI through reduction of CA and addition of Moly etc. So i'm sure you can understand why i would think LSPI was where you were headed with that post of your surprise.

If MPI, i would actually prefer the high Ca.

Understood, but when you say surprised it's not SP or SN+, the main (not only) objective of each of those categories (supplement) is mitigation of LSPI through reduction of CA and addition of Moly etc. So i'm sure you can understand why i would think LSPI was where you were headed with that post of your surprise.

If MPI, i would actually prefer the high Ca.
SN+ oils have been in circulation for over 2 years. For a 2021 vehicle, I expected to see a more recent formulation as factory fill. Maybe FCA had a surplus of engines or oil from a few years ago?

SN+ oils have been in circulation for over 2 years. For a 2021 vehicle, I expected to see a more recent formulation as factory fill. Maybe FCA had a surplus of engines or oil from a few years ago?
It's a good question.

Back