Pennzoil Used oil Analysis participation program: Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 and Motul X-Cess 5W40 GEN2

Hey guys,

So, the Pennzoil team reached out to me to participate in the UOA program and compare the oil they would provide and other oil of my choice. They provided PPE 5W40 at my request and the other oil that I chose to compare was Motul X-Cess 5W40 GEN2. I actually wanted to compare Motul 300V 5W40 that was in the vehicle before PPE 5W40, but that sample was lost.
One that that stands out here is Zinc level, especially in PPE sample, but I believe that is bit bumped by 300V leftover in oil cooler. Also, this oil had 260mls of track time.
In Motul sample, I was expecting more Silicon, considering I changed the valve cover gasket, but apparently, there is less silicon than PPE.
The first sample is PPE 5W40, one from 01/19/2023, 5,000 miles, 0.5qt added oil, 260mls of track time.
The Second is Motul from 10/02/23, 5,000 miles, 0.25qt added oil, no track time.

Shell-PPE 5W40-328.jpg
Shell-Motul 5W40-328.jpg

Yeah, I'll take the PP Euro/Shell.

I still think it, along with M1 0w40 , are the best OTC euro oils you can buy from a major store. Thank you for sharing this.
Both oils look very good. Motul is SN and PPE SP.
This engine is very hard on oil, but I do have oil cooler from 335 bi/twin turbo versions so I would say definitely helps.

EDYVW:

I don't think the N52 is hard on oil, at all. Are you referring to temperature?
The engine architecture is well designed for very long life in my opinion. This means good materials/finishes with lots of load bearing margin, which, again, is not prone to stressing oil.
I know you track, but again, even under those conditions, its not a highly stressed engine in my view. Therefore, it is not hard on oil.

I suspect we may agree to disagree on this ultimately.
So I am curious what makes you think this?

Last edited:
EDYVW:

I don't think the N52 is hard on oil, at all. Are you referring to temperature?
The engine architecture is well designed for very long life in my opinion. This means good materials/finishes with lots of load bearing margin, which, again, is not prone to stressing oil.
I know you track, but again, even under those conditions, its not a highly stressed engine in my view. Therefore, it is not hard on oil.

I suspect we may agree to disagree on this ultimately.
So I am curious what makes you think this?
It has very high temperature which leads towards oxidation. Now, it is less prone to stress compared to turbo GDI engines, no doubt about that. But, compared to similar engines, naturally aspirated 6 cyl it is.
Also, take into consideration that inline 6 relies on cooling by oil more than V6 engines. 5&6 cyl are a problem. BMW executes that very well, hence high oil capacity, but it does stress oil more than peer engines.

Seeing any difference in two oils is a good idea. Nice of shell to do this for you. Is it limited to just 2 UOA tests?

Not really. Mobil 1 0w40 runs well over 300 with corvettes in our club and it burns off faster as well. Its to thin at high temps. Redline 0w40 with a hths of 4.1 is much better
Mobil1 advertises 0W40 as entry track oil. Of course you can find oils with higher HTHS, but question is whether you need it for application.
There are oils with higher HTHS than 4.1 but what does that mean? Is it necessary? It also affects performance and heat.
I would not say on track only measurement of quality or protection is consumption.

Hey guys,

So, the Pennzoil team reached out to me to participate in the UOA program and compare the oil they would provide and other oil of my choice. They provided PPE 5W40 at my request and the other oil that I chose to compare was Motul X-Cess 5W40 GEN2. I actually wanted to compare Motul 300V 5W40 that was in the vehicle before PPE 5W40, but that sample was lost.
One that that stands out here is Zinc level, especially in PPE sample, but I believe that is bit bumped by 300V leftover in oil cooler. Also, this oil had 260mls of track time.
In Motul sample, I was expecting more Silicon, considering I changed the valve cover gasket, but apparently, there is less silicon than PPE.
The first sample is PPE 5W40, one from 01/19/2023, 5,000 miles, 0.5qt added oil, 260mls of track time.
The Second is Motul from 10/02/23, 5,000 miles, 0.25qt added oil, no track time.

View attachment 183768View attachment 183770
Nice to see PPE viscosity holding up. Mine went down to high 10s @100C. What does 260mls mean? 260 Minutes? Also what fuel are you using? I suppose the twin turbos really chew up and shear the oil in my car even though the temps are max 110C...

M2CPPE1.jpg

Nice to see PPE viscosity holding up. Mine went down to high 10s @100C. What does 260mls mean? 260 Minutes? Also what fuel are you using? I suppose the twin turbos really chew up and shear the oil in my car even though the temps are max 110C...
260 Miles

View attachment 213968
Not sure you can compare two. Mine was done by different laboratory that SOPUS chose.
Here is though UOA of Castrol 0W40. It had more track time including one 1 1/2hr session at 101f ambient temperature at 5,100ft. At this track I know cooling that works in Arizona summer might not be sufficient bcs. altitude. I have seen people from TX, AZ, with tuned N54 and two oil coolers limping here bcs. oil temperature. Premium gas, sometimes I use ethanol free at track. Left is 0W40, right is Castrol 0W30, winter use, no track.
IMG_9458.jpeg

Not sure you can compare two. Mine was done by different laboratory that SOPUS chose.
Here is though UOA of Castrol 0W40. It had more track time including one 1 1/2hr session at 101f ambient temperature at 5,100ft. At this track I know cooling that works in Arizona summer might not be sufficient bcs. altitude. I have seen people from TX, AZ, with tuned N54 and two oil coolers limping here bcs. oil temperature. Premium gas, sometimes I use ethanol free at track. Left is 0W40, right is Castrol 0W30, winter use, no track.
View attachment 213980
Where does the iron come from in these engines? Piston rings?
I see that the add pack/formula seems to have changed from my UOA to your most recent one. Maybe it's worth me doing another UOA to see if the viscosity is holding up better. Has Pennzoil said anything about bolstering their formula? Seems like the new formula has more Mo (2x) and Ca (+20%) but no Mn.
Of course the link is dead to the TDS lol

Where does the iron come from in these engines? Piston rings?
I see that the add pack/formula seems to have changed from my UOA to your most recent one. Maybe it's worth me doing another UOA to see if the viscosity is holding up better. Has Pennzoil said anything about bolstering their formula? Seems like the new formula has more Mo (2x) and Ca (+20%) but no Mn.
Of course the link is dead to the TDS lol
Iron is not an issue. Unless there is some huge spike, you must have some wear. It is on many parts in, crankshafts etc. I did numerous UOA, and realized that track is actually not any more taxing on an engine than winter is, if good oil is used, appropriate cooling.
Now, a lot of power might require bump to racing oils. Pennzoil 5W40 is fairly thin from start. If I had N54 with some serious power bump, alcohol, check HPL 5W40 BAS. It is formulated to do well on street and to deal with alcohol dilution.

Back