Motul Nismo Oil?

Short run down:
-90 240SX, with a KA24DE Swap (91-94 engine)
-Forged internals - Stock size bearings / clearances - Turbo
-Primary use: Street driving
-OCI: 2-3k miles

I work for a retail outfit that sells Motul. I've used a ton of different oil in this car (currently have Mobil 1 15w-50 for the time being) and we have inventory of the Nismo Motul 15w-50. My real question here - is the "Competition" labeled Motul oils acceptable for street use? Or are these formulations better off for dedicated track use, and stepping back down into the X-cess line a better option for me?

Provided by Motul, directly labeled for turbocharged engines, etc:

1715703073025.jpg

Nice marketing jargon. 🤯

TheUniverseTimAndEricMindBlownGIF.gif

I work for a retail outfit that sells Motul. My real question here - is the "Competition" labeled Motul oils acceptable for street use? Or are these formulations better off for dedicated track use, and stepping back down into the X-cess line a better option for me?
What do you recommend to customers when they have questions about motor oils?

Honestly, I wouldn't use Motul in that engine. I would use HPL BAS 5W-50 or 10W-50. It's a street-able racing oil that won't shear in your application. It's blended with PAO+AN+Ester+Infineum DI Package. It uses star polymer as VII.

You can order it here: https://hplu.be/Omjih

The HPL BAS is available in multiple viscosities ranging from 0W-20 all the way up to 10W-60.

1715711496211.jpg
1715711517803.jpg

Search around this forum for @High Performance Lubricants, and you'll get an idea how good their motor oil is.

Last edited:
It has a TBN of 10.1 which indicates to me that it has been formulated with street use in mind. Most dedicated track only oils have a much lower TBN due to the expectation that they get changed much more frequently.

Does this Motul oil carry any API or ACEA ratings?
Over here Penrite make racing oils, but they also formulate them for the street with high TBN and they give them API or ACEA ratings, even if only API SL due to their elevated zinc (ZDDP) levels.

Last edited:
Back