Pennzoil phasing out conventional oil ?

Doomsday preppers
Hardly. You made a funny!

But I do love my God, guns, and peaceful times in my northern garden. And, I like to can fish and vegetables and have one hellava pantry. Filleting big beautiful pacific salmon, then vacuum packing and freezing them, to include smoking salmon fillets and salmon candy strips, are favorite pasttimes as well. Sarah P is a neighbor of mine! :p

Everybody owns pickup trucks here. And they need fantastic synth oils and other lube products to properly operate in the Great White North. My vehicles typically last over 250,000 miles before I decide to part with them in working condition. Likely 200K miles with my current commuter, a 4-cyl AWD Equinox. Maintenance is the key.

Last edited:
synthetic will make your engine leak like the exxon valdez.
the old wives tale that refuses to die no matter how much you beat it!
that and switching will cause the same.
if this were true everything i have owned in the last 35 years would have leaked so much that the roads around here would be constant oil slicks!
if its on sale or clearance it got used.
and engine failure was never what took these vehicles off the road.
rust did.
i even had what i thought was a tired 396 that cleaned up and stopped smoking and lifter ticking after a few oci of really old m1.
as in old in cans!
that one is still doing just fine.

No I didn’t realize that. I don’t like the blends or full synthetic because my engines don’t like them. They spit it out the valve cover gaskets or oil pans usually. I use a blend in my Escape and a full synthetic in the 2017 Camry but that is what is recommended for those from the factory the rest of the stuff I have doesn’t call for a blend or synthetic.
That's not the oil's fault, sounds like you need some new gaskets...and oil type has nothing to do with keeping an engine clean, that is done by the detergents in the oil...

Last edited:
It looks like Pennzoil Conventional Motor Oil (PYB) is being replaced with a synthetic blend.

Any thoughts on this guys ? Looks like the wont be selling conventional oil anymore
I believe it’s been a synthetic blend since SN, at least. Pennzoil just didn’t want to cannibalize the sales of the “Gold”, and PQIA tested some PYB with extremely low NOACK, resembling GTL/full synthetic base oil.

That's not the oil's fault, sounds like you need some new gaskets...and oil type has nothing to do with keeping an engine clean, that is done by the detergents in the oil...
Dirty oil can clog the gasket leak with sludge and soots pretty well, until a better oil comes and clean the sludge and soots out. I would rather fix a leaking gasket than having sludge intentionally inside my engine to keep the gasket from leaking however.

If Automechanic wants that conventional goodies in synthetic blend era, he can dab a spoon of vaseline and a spoon of sulfuric acid into every gallon of today's semi-syn oil. Basically that's what those "syn blend" vs "conventional" really means anyways: unsaturated hydrocarbon and sulfur contents. If it is too clean and not volatile enough, add impurity to it and it will make it up for you.

Last edited:
Back