Pennzoil phasing out conventional oil ?

To meet API SP/ILSAC GF-6A requirements from what I've seen all 5w20 and 5w30 are now syn-blend, and "conventional" has been semi-syn for years anyways, solvent refined stopped cutting it a long time ago and most oil since SN has had to be made with group II base oils.

From what i have heard- the yellow bottle simply becomes a full synthetic...just a more basic one. It just leads to a 3 tier synthetic system... basic/plat/ultra

Reactions: JC1
Makes me angry. I’m a conventional oil guy. Especially for my old stuff. I use mainly 10W-30, 10W-40 and 20W-50 in my older stuff. And 15W-50 if I can find it in non synthetic. I noticed other brands have pretty much done the same thing.
You're angry that a bargain-priced product is better than it has ever been? What part of the obvious improvement are you specifically angry about?

Makes me angry. I’m a conventional oil guy. Especially for my old stuff. I use mainly 10W-30, 10W-40 and 20W-50 in my older stuff. And 15W-50 if I can find it in non synthetic. I noticed other brands have pretty much done the same thing.
So......You're an unconventional kinda guy now! :LOL:

For what reason?

You do realize what the chemical composition of Group I, II and III base stocks are essentially identical?
No I didn’t realize that. I don’t like the blends or full synthetic because my engines don’t like them. They spit it out the valve cover gaskets or oil pans usually. I use a blend in my Escape and a full synthetic in the 2017 Camry but that is what is recommended for those from the factory the rest of the stuff I have doesn’t call for a blend or synthetic.

That it’s synthetic oil. Synthetic blend too. I don’t like those oils.

Synthetic has been taking over market share long before you were born. There is no reason to use a conventional oil, that is if you can find one that is a pure conventional.

It’s time to adapt to the current world.

Back