Pennzoil phasing out conventional oil ?

Synthetic has been taking over market share long before you were born. There is no reason to use a conventional oil, that is if you can find one that is a pure conventional.

It’s time to adapt to the current world.
I can’t switch because of my belief of what synthetic does to an engine because it’s happened too many times to me not to believe it.

Synthetic shouldn't do anything that conventional doesn't due, if problems occurred after using synthetic, I'm sure the correlation is illusory, the only issue synthetics had was back in the day when they didn't have great standards for motor oil seal compatibility requirements and synthetic oils had diester oils in them that were horribly incompatible with certain types of seals.

Synthetic shouldn't do anything that conventional doesn't due, if problems occurred after using synthetic, I'm sure the correlation is illusory, the only issue synthetics had was back in the day when they didn't have great standards for motor oil seal compatibility requirements and synthetic oils had diester oils in them that were horribly incompatible with certain types of seals.
I just know that anytime I’ve used synthetic in anything it pushes it out the valve cover gaskets or oil pan gaskets and with conventional it doesn’t. I only use synthetic in vehicles that call for it.

I sense a bunch of bull hockey so I’m not going to feed it.
It’s not I swear. It’s proof it’s thinner been proven multiple times. I’ve poured it in cups next to each other to prove one is thinner than the other. Read online experts even say it’s thinner because it is.

It’s not I swear. It’s proof it’s thinner been proven multiple times. I’ve poured it in cups next to each other to prove one is thinner than the other. Read online experts even say it’s thinner because it is.
It's thinner at room temperature, yes, but not at operating temps. That's what that VI index thing is all about.

You're angry that a bargain-priced product is better than it has ever been? What part of the obvious improvement are you specifically angry about?
He's a young pup. Wait till he gets older, he'll get mad at more important things.

I'm glad that conventional oil is semi synthetic. Better product at the entry level price.

He's a young pup. Wait till he gets older, he'll get mad at more important things.

I'm glad that conventional oil is semi synthetic. Better product at the entry level price.
I’m mad because it makes my gaskets leak. And I feel they are ripping you off with the synthetic because my engine stays clean with conventional.

Supposedly he is 19. Already owned six cars?

We are being played.
No I don't think he's got 6 classic muscle cars. He's got a bug which is cool and a Mazda pickup.

Shoot I could own 6 cars but I'm too darn cheap to want to pay for tags and insurance and upkeep for 4 other cars that won't be used that often. If I had some big garage and was out in the country that would be a different story.

Did they leak a little before using conventional or its just worse now? What grades of synthetic were causing the leaks? Sounds like you need something thicker.
Not known before using. Used 5W-30 in one about 20 minutes after starting it up we smelt it burning it was the valve cover seeping down on the exhaust manifold then on the others it was 10W-30 and 10W-40 on them it was valve cover and oil pan on one too.

That stinks. What about the high mileage formulations?
Haven’t tried those yet. I gave the synthetic multiple tries in multiple cars. We use Mobil 1 in the 2017 Camry but it also is made to run on synthetic I believe so it hasn’t given any issues. It’s the 0W-20 Mobil 1 in it I hear Mobil 1 is on the thicker side too. In the others I tried Castrol, Royal Purple and Pennzoil all done the same thing. We do use High Mileage synthetic blend in the Escape as the blend is what is recommended from the factory.

I'd just like to point out that his views on motor oil are not hurting anyone. Perhaps all of you older and wiser gents(or ladies perhaps) might consider giving it a rest. Be glad instead that you've got a motivated gen Z kid who wants to earn an honest paycheck while learning new skills, and has an appreciation for classic cars.

The new "basic synthetic" is between PYB and Platinum. It's become known (here at BITOG) as Black Label.
Just checked the Pennzoil website....looks like a Autozone special. This one must have got by me. Sad part is you can buy both Plat/Ultra cheaper at Walmart.....

Like get off my lawn!

I wonder what will happen if you change your oil on his lawn with a German real full synthetic? :unsure:

Back