Pennzoil High Mileage vs Quaker State High Mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by kstanf150
I'm glad you said that
I think if the HM stuff is good enough to help save an old engine then it should help a new engine from getting old 🤔🤔🤔🤔

Bearing warranty requirements in mind, e.g. vehicle manufacturer specifications.

I've read comments that state that HM oils can cause seals to swell too much on newer engines, leading to eventual leak issues down the road-but having used Maxlife in 2 company Ford vans from the first oil change (a '12 E250 4.6 & a '15 Transit 250 3.7) that caused ZERO issues on either van-I have to call bull on that one.

I'm not particularly convinced Pennzoil is better than qs, or vice versa. I think it's all marketing. I used to be a die hard qs user, strayed away for a few years, and now have the qsad in my impala from the Walmart tle. Probably going to do the next change myself, as I'm planning a coolant replacement at the same time, and might use qs just for snickers. I will say I've been impressed with the cold flow performance of the 10/30 that's in it. Got over 1500 miles on the oci now, and it hasn't consumed any discernible amount in that time.

Personally, I hate it when some foreign company comes in and buys up two iconic American companies and then decides that one them is not going to get the best that company has to offer. In this case making Quaker State the "lower" or "lesser" line. I always loved the Quaker State brand and my affection for it was passed down from my grandfather who used it for 50 years and swore by it. I know Quaker State still has a good line of oil, but setting it up as the step child to foreign company after being made great in the USA seems crappy.

Originally Posted by Big_3_Only
Personally, I hate it when some foreign company comes in and buys up two iconic American companies and then decides that one them is not going to get the best that company has to offer. In this case making Quaker State the "lower" or "lesser" line. I always loved the Quaker State brand and my affection for it was passed down from my grandfather who used it for 50 years and swore by it. I know Quaker State still has a good line of oil, but setting it up as the step child to foreign company after being made great in the USA seems crappy.

Pennzoil for the last 4 decades at least has been perceived by the consumer as the greater of the 2 brands. Quaker State did not help its stock as a "great" American brand by purchasing Slick 50 or waiting to the latest spec to be implemented to use better base stocks. Pennzoil started using group II+ basestocks in 90's while Quaker State puddled along. Just letting you know.

As for SOPUS when Shell purchased Pennzoil/Quaker State the two brands were 1 and 2 in the PCMO market. I know Quaker State is not #2 which is poor marketing and branding on Shell's part. I would like to know about Pennzoil.

Doubt many folks in the US know these are owned by RDS … (and Pennzoil already had the colors right) …

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
The Pennzoil name is the #1 seller in the USA. 2nd Place (whomever it is?) is not a real close race.

The Pennzoil brand dominates the Quick Lube market in both conventional and synthetic, the 2nd largest player is Valvoline.

In the retail space, I believe Pennzoil also dominates the conventional realm whilst Mobil sells the most synthetic.

As far as marketing goes , QS does not advertise that it has any cleaning additives.. At 100c the QS is a little thicker when comparing 10w40's , the flash point is 20*c higher on the PHM.. That's the main difference I can see when comparing each of their product pages. I didn't look into VOA's.
I bought a Chevrolet truck with dirty lifters , I successfully cleaned them up alternating between PHM and M1HM on 3k intervals. Now that the motor is quiet again I may give this QSHM a shot , just out of curiosity. Thanks for all of the replies.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Doubt many folks in the US know these are owned by RDS … (and Pennzoil already had the colors right) …

There are enough people outside the U.S., including people from Holland, who are clueless to this. I've heard variations about buying Quaker State but avoiding Pennzoil, despite that Pennzoil and Quaker State came together before Shell got involved. I've heard of someone boycotting Shell and hating RDS but using only Pennzoil motor oil. With the latter one, the shock and confusion were palpable.

I've posted a few times on this topic
I own a 2008 Ford Escape that's just now reached 80K
Always used 5W-20 QS Synthetic
So far no drips no runs no errors
Perfect engine to this date ðŸ‘

So did I change to a HM oil 🤔
Or keep on keeping on as usual ?

Y'all decide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back