Pennz Ultra or Royal Purple?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was all set to get the Royal Purple deal at Pep Boys but stopped in at the Auto Zone first. They have Ultra for 28.99 which includes a Tough Guard filter. I'd have to buy that extra 6th quart with either purchase which would bring total to about 40 bucks for either. Ultra does have the 10 dollar rebate card which would cancel the price of the 6th quart. This would be for the 2nd oil change on my Silverado The RP deal does include a RP filter

Can I go wrong with either or is the Ultra overkill on a engine with 11k on it?

Id take the ultra over royal purple. In VOAs of the normal street royal purple, there is nothing special about it. Ultra does have a nice high TBN and strong detergents to keep your engine clean over a long OCI.

Given the same price, I'd go with RP every time. Otherwise, I'd go with whichever is cheaper.

ULTRA!
thumbsup2.gif

Nothing special about Ultra. RP is an extended drain oil, while Ultra does not claim that. Ultra is good, but nothing special about it at all.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Nothing special about Ultra. RP is an extended drain oil, while Ultra does not claim that. Ultra is good, but nothing special about it at all.

Wow, you certainly haven't been following the threads today discussing the quality of the base oils used in PU.

I'd go with Ultra over RP.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Whatever the "base oil quality" of PU is, does not necessarily make it better oil than RP.

That's a pretty irrational statement.
You clearly have a RP biase.

As many will attest I have no biase in favout of PU, I actually prefer PP for it's higher VI to both PU and RP, but there is little doubt that PU uses higher quality base oil stocks than RP in light of it's very low NOACK figures.

Royal Purple is usually pretty expensive. That said.. I used it, and it is a great oil.

Still, though, Pennzoil Ultra is too..

Ultra seems less "gimmicky" but ultimately, hey, whatever floats your boat.

And FWIW: A lot of people HATE RP.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

You clearly have a RP biase.

Interesting. RP has been unmercifully bashed here on this website and blamed for everything from the Federal deficit, to earthquakes, to brain cancer. Have you even once spoke up against that bias?

Conversely, SOPUS products (while very good) have been hyped to the skies here. Over the top love for Johnny and SOPUS sponsorship kept the kool-aid flowing. Did you call out that bias, either?

If "bias" ever came into play, I can GUARANTEE you it was pro-SOPUS, and anti-RP.

GC will be in the sump in 2 weeks or so. I can't wait. So much for the jokers that "thought" I was loyal to the purple juice..HHAAAHHAA lol meant to funny...
I kid "jokers" I kid

I've used both. Felt and sensed no difference between the 2 during 5k OCI's. In this case I'd pick RP only because you get a better filter

Ultra, no contest. Royal Purple contains high levels of sulfur beyond API limits.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/November%202011%20samples/testresultsnovbatch2(10W-30)2011.html

http://www.pqiamerica.com/November%202011%20samples/testresultsnovbatch2(10W-30)2011.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back