Pennz Ultra or Royal Purple?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Nothing special about Ultra. RP is an extended drain oil, while Ultra does not claim that. Ultra is good, but nothing special about it at all.

Don't you have that backward?
RP only good for racing?

meh..that's 10W30 who the heck runs that junk?

28.gif

lol

That is a high # for sure

Goose

Buster,
It's not 2004. It's SN BABY! your info is WRONG. TRY AGAIN.
Admit it, you don't like Purple and your outdated BIAS proves it with NO backbone

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: buster
http://www.pqiamerica.com/November%202011%20samples/testresultsnovbatch2(10W-30)2011.html

thats not the api version now is it? Nice try,try again with some data that actually backs what your saying.

Hey guys I thought the same thing...but if you click on the RP bottle it does say this above the data

The ranges and averages shown in the table below are for the latest specification (API SN GF-5).

Goose

I`d keep running RP if I was still able to get it for $6 a quart. But there`s no way I`m paying $10 for non-Synerlec RP. I had an impeccable UOA with Synerlec RP awhile back.

Last edited:
Ok, this was the Royal Purple API SL apparently.

Regardless, Pennzoil Ultra meets the most stringent specs and performs extremely well in the ASTM Seq IIIG and IVA.

Little Royal Purple fan boys go around with their timken test and Royal sulfur oil and prove how superior their product is. Almost as bad as the Four Ball Wear test.

They do make some very good racing oils apparently.

Ive used several different synthetic oils, and i have never been able to tell the difference from one to another, ever. The Ultra appears to be top notch and a good oil, but i also believe that the RP is a great oil as well. im sure either on will handle a 10k mile oci. and i almost can guarantee you wont be able to tell any difference between the two. that being said id go with RP just because im not a SOPUS guru. i prefer Amsoil or M1 but everyone likes something different. buy both deals and use one now and another on the next change,thats what i would do. both are great deals, and lubes

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
I'd go with Ultra over RP.

The irony is that if Ontario is anything like Saskatchewan, you'd find RP much more readily than you'd find PU.
wink.gif

As far as I know, the only place that would be able to get me any Ultra would be NAPA, and I bet they'd charge me more for PU than what I can get RP for.

Originally Posted By: Blue_Goose
Was all set to get the Royal Purple deal at Pep Boys but stopped in at the Auto Zone first. They have Ultra for 28.99 which includes a Tough Guard filter. I'd have to buy that extra 6th quart with either purchase which would bring total to about 40 bucks for either. Ultra does have the 10 dollar rebate card which would cancel the price of the 6th quart. This would be for the 2nd oil change on my Silverado The RP deal does include a RP filter

Can I go wrong with either or is the Ultra overkill on a engine with 11k on it?

If the PU was cheaper and had a decent filter I would say to get it if you are not brand loyal and/or only care about the cost of the OC. However, if the price is the same between the 2 deals it is a no brainer to me due to the RP filter which is one of the best out there. It would be like going out to eat and buying a nice steak dinner that came with either instant mashed potatoes( PU + Fram )or a real baked potato( RP + RP ) both for the same $40. I know which I would want.

I personally would run the RP even if it cost more( and I do )but I am admittedly biased in favor of it based on over 2 decades of running their products with nothing but the best of results. Unlike the views and comments from so many here who do nothing but bash RP at least my praise is based on actual use. There is a lot of RP [censored] floating around this siite from people who have never used it so take most of the negative stuff with a grain or two of salt.
wink.gif

FWIW - I actually like SOPUS stuff and would use PP, PU, or QS if RP was not available to me. PU is a good oil and not saying otherwise.

Last edited:
Ok I feel bad for even starting this topic although a lot of good info...I ended up doing the change today with QSUD and a Bosch Premium filter.

I will probably end up getting some RP and Pennz Ultra at the prices they are right now (I'll ask the AZ guy if I can substitute The Tough Guard for a Bosch Premium, same price)

I think the QSUD has gotten s few good reviews here

Goose

i went to pepboys today to buy a couple of the RP specials, but they didnt have any in 5w20 flavor so i walked away with my head down, to bad another pepboys isnt close enough to justify the drive.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
i went to pepboys today to buy a couple of the RP specials, but they didnt have any in 5w20 flavor so i walked away with my head down, to bad another pepboys isnt close enough to justify the drive.

You should have asked them to order a case in for you. I have done that before when the local PB's didn't have the 10 qts I needed for the deal. Should only take 1-2 days for it to show up. Also, make sure they have plenty of the filters you need too in stock otherwise order those as well.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: donnyj08

You should have asked them to order a case in for you. I have done that before when the local PB's didn't have the 10 qts I needed for the deal. Should only take 1-2 days for it to show up. Also, make sure they have plenty of the filters you need too in stock otherwise order those as well.

I thought about this on my way home. The closest pepboys is 1 hr away and I'm in that town twice a week, ill do that next week! Is the SN 5w20 a great oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back