Penn Ultra 0w40 in a BMW X5 with N55 motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought few changes of this oil on the Pepboys sale here and wondering if I can run that oil. I do in between changes of 7500 miles with the free maintenance. It does not have the LL01 approvals on the back but it was designed for SRT vehicles so I don't thing they would put them on that as well. What do you guys thing about this oil in the BMW inline 6 with a single turbo.

Originally Posted By: SEBZX79
Yes but I do work for the dealership.

Haha... well, then you know better than any of us what may and may not cause issues when it comes to BMW and any possible hassle around warranty coverage.

Personally, I doubt this PU 0w-40 would cause any engine lubrication issues in your BMW. You are right that the SRT crowd wanted their own dedicated lubricant, so that's why SOPUS made one, and they're not about to slap on any Euro mfg specs on it because they want to keep it exclusive to SRT. Would it meet the LL-01 requirements? Your guess is as good as mine. Possibly.

If it was my car, I'd just run something that has LL-01 approval. There are quite a few readily available oils out there that do, so I see no reason to go for something else and play the guessing game.

I have plenty of oil for next few changes. l purchased this because of a great deal, i don't do 15000 mile as BMW recommends as i belive thats a little much. My thinking was that the LL 0 1 recommendation was for long life oil so we can do 15,000 miles changes which l don't do . Can we find spec sheet for the Euro 5w 40 and this SRT 0w 40 in comparing both it might be same oil.

Can we find spec sheet for the Euro 5w 40 and this SRT 0w 40 in comparing both it might be same oil.

They are definitely not the same oil. They can't label a 5w40 as a 0w40.

Additionally, there is Pennzoil Ultra Euro 0w40, which isn't available in NAM but is different still (carries a bunch of Euro approvals).

Originally Posted By: dparm
Can we find spec sheet for the Euro 5w 40 and this SRT 0w 40 in comparing both it might be same oil.

They are definitely not the same oil.

Yup. Apart from being thinner, the SRT version contains 240 ppm of moly. The 5w-40 Euro contains none.

SE--did you clean out the rest of the SRT at the Parsippany store?
I bought 2 0-40 changes myself, for the Z06, went back today, and it's all gone!
PBY did give me rainchecks for 4 additional Pennzoil/Fram deals--as they were out of any PZL 5-30
kudos to them

No it was not me I did two stores in south jersey. Have no idea what to do with all this oil as both cars now have free maintenance. I am just doing in between changes and going to start changing oil for my friends for beer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back