"scientifically rusted" environment.*

*Penetrating oil ..... Average load*

None ..................... 516 pounds
WD-40 .................. 238 pounds
PB Blaster ............. 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ..... 127 pounds
Kano Kroil ............ 106 pounds
ATF-Acetone mix....53 pounds

*The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50% acetone - 50% automatic transmission fluid.*
*Note the "home brew" was better than any commercial product in this one
particular test. Our local machinist group mixed up a batch and we all now
use it with equally good results. Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is about
as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price. *

What is this? Replacing marketing hype and the way it has always been done with test data?

They didn't test spray silicone oil. I like it as a non gumming lube, and go ahead and use the same thing as penetrating oil.

Heat and quench works. For a time I worked in a brake shop. We salvaged many calipers with a broken bleed screw with what the owner called the heat wrench. It is much easier to reach for the torch before you bust something off.

Out in the field, a little gas may help. A good hammering does too. I usually give things a squirt of silicone and then hammer away.

Good info., thanks labman.
thumbsup2.gif

I'm curious what the "scientifically rusted environment" was. There are a lot of variables to take into account.

Certainly interesting info. It may have been posted here in the past.

Could have been a salt spray cabinet. It has been a long time since I worked for Rinshed Mason in Detroit and I forget some of the details. It was kept warm and at timed intervals it sprayed a mist of salt water. We would paint 4'' x 12'' metal panels, cut to bare metal down the middle, and leave them in it. it had heat, salt, water, and air, steel's worst enemies.

Too bad you guys don't have a product called Rust-Check Penetrating fluid (red can) that we have up here...

I would almost guarantee that it is better than any other fluid out there.

It's a bit pricey, but it has been able to get some pretty rusted things moving again and everyone that we have told about it, now swears by it.

Just spray it on whatever is seized and let it sit and within 20 minutes you can break it free.

If anyone crosses the border up here, stop in at Canadian Tire and pick up some!
wink.gif

Must be a fairly huge fastener to take 500 ft lbs without snapping.

The worst rusted stuff has fine machine thread that just turns into one blob. Muffler clamps come to mind.

i mixed old gas and old ATF together. As for muffler clamps. I breath a sigh of relief if they shear easily. I have an old bench grinder with a wire wheel on it. I use it to brighten up any bolt I intend to re-use.

Maybe the only reason people don't use AFT-Acetone is that acetone will melt a lot of plastics and also evaporate. I could forsee problems with plastic spray bottles and small applicator brushes melting.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

The worst rusted stuff has fine machine thread that just turns into one blob. Muffler clamps come to mind.

As a fabricator in a muffler shop for many years, I agree....
I have tried everything on that list, and overall, Kroil is untouchable.

Way back it was mentioned that LC20 and ATF made a good penetrating oil. Ive used this brew, and have a can of it alongside a bunch of others, which I use depending upon the job. Seems to work well, but no test to determine for sure. Id imagine based upon these results that it should be at least equivalent to Kroil... (?)

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
Conklin's Rust Bomb works better than anything else I've tried.

Woh -- someone else knows Rust Bomb. Rust Bomb is the "bomb". My dad was a sales rep. We used this stuff (almost) daily on the farm. The smell was aweful -- but I have yet to come across any penetrating spray to smell good. We always had a can of Rust Bomb and Luboil within arm's reach.

Interesting that PB was only slighty better than WD40. Most claim different.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01

Interesting that PB was only slighty better than WD40. Most claim different.

+1 Ive found it to have better creeping action than other stuff.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

It only listed pounds. Could be inch pound.

^ I was thinking the same. You'd probably need a hefty breaker bar to loosen 500+ ft-lbs. Most lug nuts are only torqued to 100.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
Conklin's Rust Bomb works better than anything else I've tried.

The smell was aweful

So true!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back