Peeling clearcoat, which type to use

Status
Not open for further replies.
GM also has a problem with pealing paint, or in this case the clear coat. 2000 Silverado with clear coat peeling on roof, hood, and bed (outside). I want to shoot it with a clear coat just to stop it from pealing, not too worried about how it looks after. My question is which type to use. Wal-Mart has automotive clear coat in enamel, acrylic, and lacquer. Lacquer is in a quart container, the other two in spray cans. Which would be correct for this application?

It needs to be catalyzed to be shiny and durable.That means auto parts stores quarts/gallons and the activator for it.All present clear would need to be removed or at least the flaking clear removed and the rest scuffed and featheredged.

Don't use the Wal-Mart stuff. In your case, the basecoat is also attacked by UV damage. You need to take the area down to bare metal and refinish it. If you care about looks, have a shop do it but it won't be cheap.

I really don't care about looks. The kids have but enough dents in it that it's never going to look "good". I just want to stop the clear coat from pealing. The white underneath is still intact, and that is what I am trying to protect by touching up the pealing clear coat. I don't intend for this to be a big project, just sand or gently scrape off loose clear coat and spray it.

Is the Qts. and Gallons with the activator lacquer, enamel or acrylic?

For driving around Lakeside just buy the stuff in the spray bomb cans. LMAO Now if you are going to make it into Santee or El Cajon you might want to take it to a paint shop.
smile.gif

Don't DIY. Get a pro to do it. My 82 MB had some crazing in the clear, base coat was still fine, so I got a good shop to remove and just clear the roof. They blended it and it looks perfect.

Scrape the areas of disintegrating clear with a plastic scraper, even the edges. Avoid sandpaper of any kind, the clear will be much harder than the colour coat and one slip up will see you go straight through the colour to the primer.

2 or 3 coats of acrylic clear, from a spray can.

Edges will be visible, and some of the clear at the edges may lift up as the new stuff dries. Let dry for a week or 2, then repeat the plastic scraper treatment.

This is a cheap method, and won't look professional, but it will protect the exposed colour coat from any further damage.

Unfortunately you will find other areas of original clear will let go, so you may need to do the scrape/paint trick every 6 months or so.

I did that on a pealing fender on one of my old vans. Think I used duplicolor clearcoat. It's been maybe 3 years ago. Nor pretty but seems to be holding up. I refinished the hatch on another van, painted it with rustolium appliance white and cleared it with rustolium clear, all spray cans. It's been 3 or 4 years and its still good.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
For driving around Lakeside just buy the stuff in the spray bomb cans. LMAO Now if you are going to make it into Santee or El Cajon you might want to take it to a paint shop.
smile.gif

Now that's pretty funny right there. However El Cajon is an arm pit compared to Lakeside. Santee a little better. I like the previous couple threads, I will follow their advice. I am not looking for it to be a beauty queen, just want to stop the progression. It will look good enough to take to the rodeo for sure. Thanks Pavlov for the info on which to use.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: another Todd
Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
smile.gif

Now that's pretty funny right there. However El Cajon is an arm pit compared to Lakeside. Santee a little better. I like the previous couple threads, I will follow their advice. I am not looking for it to be a beauty queen, just want to stop the progression. It will look good enough to take to the rodeo for sure. Thanks Pavlov for the info on which to use.
I agree. I would rather live in Lakeside any day of the week. I almost bought a house there but the deal fell through. Nice town with that small town feel to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back