Removing Clearcoat From Wheels?

That duplicolor clear coat made for the wheels is actually pretty good Ive used it now on several body parts and if you let the cans sit in warm water for about 15 min prior to spray out it comes out looking like glass and 2 years later I dont see any sign of yellowing or anything bad its definately not as hard as real auto paint but its pretty good for the cost. I think they have a matte and gloss version now also.

I bought aerosol aircraft paint remover. I was wondering how it would work with a plastic nozzle. The answer is, it doesn't. Made it through 2 wheels before the nozzle melted. I'm going to buy the brush on stuff next time!

Two of them have all of the paint off. There's still some underlying corrosion I have to take care of but we'll get to that soon enough.

I saw a set of these wheels painted white on an 80s Ranger. I really liked it. But I'm not sure white goes with "Spruce Green Metallic". I'm thinking Ford gray with some black accents?

That duplicolor clear coat made for the wheels is actually pretty good Ive used it now on several body parts and if you let the cans sit in warm water for about 15 min prior to spray out it comes out looking like glass and 2 years later I dont see any sign of yellowing or anything bad its definately not as hard as real auto paint but its pretty good for the cost. I think they have a matte and gloss version now also.
I will keep this in mind for when I Get a coat of paint on them

Got the first coat of paint on. This project really didn't go as expected. I bought aerosol aircraft stripper. Great idea! Very easy to use - for three minutes until the nozzle melts. So I bought the gel type to finish it up. looking back, should have just got the can of it first.

Got the paint all stripped off, primered it and my paint gun doesn't have any spray pattern. So I bought "charcoal" rattle cans. For only $100 more I could have had a nice brand new set of steel wheels.

Here's some pics. Going to do some wet sanding tomorrow and see if I can get some of the imperfections out of the finish. I may end up using these as summer wheels, I do like them.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 16
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 17
Hey I think that will look good. It’s a nice subtle gray. a few coats of the duplicolor or VHT clear for wheels and you’ll be in great shape!

If you are using the duplicolor clear I learned the hard way that you really need a few days of drying on the original paint before applying it. Something in the paint chemistry didn't work when I tried to shoot the duplicolor on top of a few hours old coat of rustoleum and it all wrinkled up badly. Waiting 3-4 days later same thing again looked like glass when it dried. I like the look of those rims I think I would have gone all in and blasted/PC myself but sometimes the learning part is just as fun as anything else

Back