2011 Honda Civic PM and pics...

I was able to get ahold of my sisters new to her Civic to do some maintenance and bring most PM items up to speed.

This included the following:
- oil / filter change (mix of left over OE VW/Audi 508.00 0w20 / PP 0w20) and Fram Extra Guard.
- transmission fluid drain and fill (OE Honda DW-1)
- coolant drain and fill (OE Honda Type II)
- power steering reservoir extract and fill (OE Honda P/S fluid)
- engine air filter replacement (Fram Ultra)

I have to say, all of these items were EXTREMELY easy to service. Not even an underbody panel to remove.

The car drives very well. The only non cosmetic issue I noticed was some worn front suspension component(s). Going over bumps at low speed (think speed bumps) you hear a crunch type sound. The exterior has plenty of paint flaws, failing clear on the roof, spiderwebbing on the hood...the usual Honda paint issues for this gen at this age. Furthermore the rubber trim around the windows is showing signs of age, plenty of cracking and discoloration. But again, these items are cosmetic and can be overlooked for the solid car underneath. Besides from 20 feet back you can't really tell anyway!

Before returning the car to her I gave it a quick wash and threw on a coat of Turtle Wax Seal N Shine to give some small layer of protection. Basically the only time the car gets washed is when I do it after an oil change which might be every 5 months give or take.

Thankfully the insurance check from the wreck covered this, and this car has HALF the miles of her last one. Sister is happy, and I am happy for her! Hopefully many happy miles ahead.

Attachments

• CD13A90E-88A5-4582-9D3F-9CB89AF8B3FB.jpeg
    CD13A90E-88A5-4582-9D3F-9CB89AF8B3FB.jpeg
    250.5 KB · Views: 151
  • 20C08418-E0EC-4DCD-B83C-5E823C67A3A7.jpeg
    20C08418-E0EC-4DCD-B83C-5E823C67A3A7.jpeg
    264.2 KB · Views: 115
  • 3422FA47-7072-44C1-918D-87C3DF34CCD9.jpeg
    3422FA47-7072-44C1-918D-87C3DF34CCD9.jpeg
    162.8 KB · Views: 109
  • A2C464D6-4C7C-4DE8-90BD-EFB14124DA46.jpeg
    A2C464D6-4C7C-4DE8-90BD-EFB14124DA46.jpeg
    187.5 KB · Views: 131
  • 7D6E8F52-C7F6-4B23-B4FD-B6A385AB8522.jpeg
    7D6E8F52-C7F6-4B23-B4FD-B6A385AB8522.jpeg
    156.4 KB · Views: 159
  • 11422057-6C29-4E97-8F63-0BA3E36C4934.jpeg
    11422057-6C29-4E97-8F63-0BA3E36C4934.jpeg
    199.9 KB · Views: 163
Should be a good get around beater. I wouldn't have bothered with the wax but all the other stuff sounds worthwhile.

Should be a good get around beater. I wouldn't have bothered with the wax but all the other stuff sounds worthwhile.
Eh, took an extra 5 minutes and gave the paint some pop. Plus it will give some protection from bird droppings etc. Worthwhile to me. This paint is fragile, anything helps IMO.

Do you know if the engine block has been replaced due to the coolant passage crack? It seems to rear it’s ugly head sooner in vehicles that are in the colder climates.

Honda redesigned the fault by 2009 or so but it can still happen on later build cars. Being in FL it’s probably a non issue anyway.

Last edited:
Going from BMW's to my Honda, I have to agree.
Maintenance on these is crazy simple and dare I say....fun?
Makes sense why there's such a hugh aftermarket supply of mods to make ownership a little more interesting.

Good job & hopefully it takes care of your Sister for a long time. Note -- I replaced my OE struts/coil springs with Monroe Quick Struts last year on my Acura in signature. What a difference with ride & stability at 115,xxx miles. Sure there is more expensive & better options out there but -- pound for buck -- you cant beat them Monroe Quick Struts. Just put them on the front of my Taurus SW in signature --- again -- cant beat them for the price.

Last edited:
Do you know if the engine block has been replaced due to the coolant passage crack? It seems to rear it’s ugly head sooner in vehicles that are in the colder climates.

Honda redesigned the fault by 2009 or so but it can still happen on later build cars. Being in FL it’s probably a non issue anyway.
From everything I’ve read it seemed to have been resolved. Have you seen otherwise?

Why, thanks for the positivity for your fellow BITOG member & his Sister!!! Really??????????? I think he did a great job!!! If thats what she could afford -- again -- great job with looking out for her Greg.

Why, thanks for the positivity for your fellow BITOG member & his Sister!!! Really??????????? I think he did a great job!!! If thats what she could afford -- again -- great job with looking out for her Greg.
Yes, actually. Money is tight for everyone now. After the accident the other party would not admit fault so my sister was up the creek with no money for a car. About a month later the other party admitted fault as he should have initially and she got an insurance check. I think for todays market she did well. A reliable car with 112K hopefully will last her another 50K at least. These seem to be pretty solid.

Thanks for recognizing that.

Nice find. I'm running a 2009 Civic with 235,000. A little maintenance and it should give her several years of service. Easy to work on and parts are cheap. Feels great to help out family. I have a sister I help out also and it really is a pleasure, just knowing that she's not getting taken.

Yes, actually. Money is tight for everyone now. After the accident the other party would not admit fault so my sister was up the creek with no money for a car. About a month later the other party admitted fault as he should have initially and she got an insurance check. I think for todays market she did well. A reliable car with 112K hopefully will last her another 50K at least. These seem to be pretty solid.

Thanks for recognizing that.
Great car and wonderful choice. My daughter's is virtually solid-as-new with 150K miles on it with routine maintenance only (which I perform). It has never needed a single repair. I think 250K is easily doable.

From everything I’ve read it seemed to have been resolved. Have you seen otherwise?
I heard anecdotally of a 2010 or 2011 with the problem but I wasn’t there to verify or witness it. I agree the 2010-2011 should be problem free of that issue.

My wife and I have put a combined 90k+ miles on our two 8th gen Civic's and haven't had to do anything beside maintenance and brakes/tires/etc.

Fyi, the door checkers from the 9th gen civic (2012-2015) are a direct replacement on the 8th gen and last much longer (cheaper too). Front and back.
The door checkers on these cars don't last long and the door will close by themselves.

Back