2011 Honda Civic PM and pics...

My wife and I have put a combined 90k+ miles on our two 8th gen Civic's and haven't had to do anything beside maintenance and brakes/tires/etc.

Fyi, the door checkers from the 9th gen civic (2012-2015) are a direct replacement on the 8th gen and last much longer (cheaper too). Front and back.
The door checkers on these cars don't last long and the door will close by themselves.
Is it an easy replacement? Her driver door is horrible.

Good on you for doing all of that for her! I don't blame you for throwing in the wash and wax, there's nothing wrong with preserving it, even with the few blemishes. Those are great little cars, and yes, easy to work on and maintain.
Even with that old partial quart of PP 0w20 in the crankcase with the 508.00, it'll be great. I know it won't hurt it at all, I'm just an overthinking person with OCD. :unsure: :LOL:
Cheers! Great job! 🍻

Not even an underbody panel to remove.
There should be one, I'm pretty sure, but not having it really doesn't matter.

After the accident the other party would not admit fault so my sister was up the creek with no money for a car. About a month later the other party admitted fault as he should have initially and she got an insurance check.
I know it's done now but for anyone that may read this, this is why people should file claims through their own insurance company and avoid that type of bull excrement.

Good on you for doing all of that for her! I don't blame you for throwing in the wash and wax, there's nothing wrong with preserving it, even with the few blemishes. Those are great little cars, and yes, easy to work on and maintain.
Even with that old partial quart of PP 0w20 in the crankcase with the 508.00, it'll be great. I know it won't hurt it at all, I'm just an overthinking person with OCD. :unsure: :LOL:
Cheers! Great job! 🍻
I'm quite the OCD type myself. I went back and forth on it but in the end I know 508.00 is a top notch oil, and I know that people mix oils when topping off so hopefully it will turn out to be a non issue. Moving forward I'll have set schedule with singular products.

There should be one, I'm pretty sure, but not having it really doesn't matter.

I know it's done now but for anyone that may read this, this is why people should file claims through their own insurance company and avoid that type of bull excrement.
It does have a panel, its just before the drain area.

She did file under her insurance. The previous car only had "basic" coverage, but furthermore the insurance said there was nothing they could do as the officers on site said it was a no fault accident. It was clear who hit who, but as usual (in my experience) our fine local police department failed to acknowledge who hit who.

It does have a panel, its just before the drain area.
We have a '12 Civic EX and there's an underbody panel that needs removed to access the oil drain, ATF drain, and oil filter. I realize your model (and engine) could be different.

She did file under her insurance. The previous car only had "basic" coverage, but furthermore the insurance said there was nothing they could do as the officers on site said it was a no fault accident. It was clear who hit who, but as usual (in my experience) our fine local police department failed to acknowledge who hit who.
Because she only had "basic" insurance (liability only), this doesn't apply. If you or anyone has full coverage, file the claim with your own insurance. It makes ZERO difference who was at fault. Your insurance company will take of you. Your sister's situation is a perfect example of WHY to do this - the other person's insurance isn't your friend and isn't on your side. What the police say is irrelevant. This is a civil matter between insurance companies, not a traffic violation or criminal issue.

The car drives very well. The only non cosmetic issue I noticed was some worn front suspension component(s). Going over bumps at low speed (think speed bumps) you hear a crunch type sound.
Needs front lower control arms. The middle bushing (not the compliance one) is dried out.

We have a '12 Civic EX and there's an underbody panel that needs removed to access the oil drain, ATF drain, and oil filter. I realize your model (and engine) could be different.

Because she only had "basic" insurance (liability only), this doesn't apply. If you or anyone has full coverage, file the claim with your own insurance. It makes ZERO difference who was at fault. Your insurance company will take of you. Your sister's situation is a perfect example of WHY to do this - the other person's insurance isn't your friend and isn't on your side. What the police say is irrelevant. This is a civil matter between insurance companies, not a traffic violation or criminal issue.
From what I understand some insurances will hike your rate if you file a claim, even if you are NOT at fault. Our neighbor backed into our previous Jetta and I handled the claim myself through THEIR insurance without a problem. I understand this won't always be the outcome, but it worked for me.

Anyway, back on topic

Ok. The answer to my next question varies based on location, etc. but how much would that job run?
Would you consider a DIY? It is one of the easiest control arm jobs to do.

Under $125 for 2 control arms plus an alignment.

It's 11 years old, if it hasn't cracked by now it's not going

Yes, actually. Money is tight for everyone now. After the accident the other party would not admit fault so my sister was up the creek with no money for a car. About a month later the other party admitted fault as he should have initially and she got an insurance check. I think for todays market she did well. A reliable car with 112K hopefully will last her another 50K at least. These seem to be pretty solid.

Thanks for recognizing that.
Little things bud!!! ;)

I was able to get ahold of my sisters new to her Civic to do some maintenance and bring most PM items up to speed.

This included the following:
- oil / filter change (mix of left over OE VW/Audi 508.00 0w20 / PP 0w20) and Fram Extra Guard.
- transmission fluid drain and fill (OE Honda DW-1)
- coolant drain and fill (OE Honda Type II)
- power steering reservoir extract and fill (OE Honda P/S fluid)
- engine air filter replacement (Fram Ultra)

I have to say, all of these items were EXTREMELY easy to service. Not even an underbody panel to remove.

The car drives very well. The only non cosmetic issue I noticed was some worn front suspension component(s). Going over bumps at low speed (think speed bumps) you hear a crunch type sound. The exterior has plenty of paint flaws, failing clear on the roof, spiderwebbing on the hood...the usual Honda paint issues for this gen at this age. Furthermore the rubber trim around the windows is showing signs of age, plenty of cracking and discoloration. But again, these items are cosmetic and can be overlooked for the solid car underneath. Besides from 20 feet back you can't really tell anyway!

Before returning the car to her I gave it a quick wash and threw on a coat of Turtle Wax Seal N Shine to give some small layer of protection. Basically the only time the car gets washed is when I do it after an oil change which might be every 5 months give or take.

Thankfully the insurance check from the wreck covered this, and this car has HALF the miles of her last one. Sister is happy, and I am happy for her! Hopefully many happy miles ahead.
Good on you for taking care of your sister.
When we had our Civic, I could do all fluids, plugs, fuel & air filter for around $100.00. Super simple to do.
Bought it new in '93 and it had a little over 300K miles on it before it was totaled a couple of years ago.

Attachments

• CAR4.jpg
    CAR4.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 14
Update: about two days ago the car started knocking. My sister parked the car and my brother was able to tow it home. I went over for a listen and it sure sounds like a rod knock. A Honda 1.8 with a rod knock is almost unheard of, especially with only 115K miles. I did some light research and found that the A/C compressor makes this exact sound when it goes out. They are taking it to the shop soon, and hoping for good news!

Back