Pausing After Key On Before Cranking

My previous KTM motorcycle didn't like it if you tried to crank it before the rev needle had done its startup sweep.

2500 with a 305?
Yeah, it was an extended cab long bed automatic 2wd 2500 and pretty bare bones. I was surprised when the guy told me it was available with the 4.3 when i said it had the smallest engine. I thought the 4.3 was for the 1500 and the 2500 at least got the 305 as standard.

I love the 4.3 in my 17 yr old truck. Reliable as a stone axe, only issues I have had in 17 yrs were an ignition module and a couple of thermostats. Truck will go to its grave with the engine unmolested.
I drive conservatively, so the 190 hp it produces is adequate for my needs.
4.3 is reliable but i briefly owned a single cab short bed 2wd auto Silverado with it but it was inefficient. Traded it in for the sierra i have now with the 5.3 and it gets better millage with the same light driving.

I put the key in and crank it. My cars have all started up just fine.

My motorcycles are a different story. I can hear the fuel pump priming when I turn the key to ON. I typically wait until the fuel pump turns off before cranking. Just a habit, not a necessity, I guess.

I put the key in and crank it. My cars have all started up just fine.

My motorcycles are a different story. I can hear the fuel pump priming when I turn the key to ON. I typically wait until the fuel pump turns off before cranking. Just a habit, not a necessity, I guess.
Your cars do the same, you just don’t hear the fuel pump, unlike on a motorcycle. In my old Mazda 3 I could hear the faint fuel pump wine when it was priming. All FI systems do it.

The ECU is processing millions of things per second and they don't really adjust anything until the engine is up and running. Some don't even go to closed loop control until the sensors are warmed up.

The ECM definitely doesn’t need any wake-up time, otherwise that would have been programmed into the starting sequence.
Having said that, I do wait about a second to give the fuel pump time to build up pressure. It’s probably inconsequential anyways, but it’s more of a habit than anything else at this point.
The fuel pump on my truck takes only milliseconds to prime the fuel system. How do I know this? I have a fuel pump kill switch I installed under the driver's seat. Occasionally I will forget to cancel the kill switch and crank and not have the engine fire up, realise my mistake, reach under the seat and cancel the kill switch while the engine is still being cranked and the engine fires up instantly. There is no discernible lag between cancelling the kill switch and the engine firing up.

I don't care about the ECM "processing data". But I do it on my truck and Toyota. I can hear the fuel pump pressurizing the system as soon as the key goes to "ON". So I stop until the pump stops, then hit it. (I'm guessing it's perhaps a second or 2).

My truck will fire quicker that way, especially if it's been sitting for several days. Once it's been run and warmed up then I just go.

A ECU can be ON in the sense it is not sleeping but still not be gathering all the necessay data till its senses IGN.For instance a Hall Effect sensor is not powered up till IGN is on.
So the question narrows down to - can the ECU process the data coming in at IGN on quickly, in milliseconds? I am guessing the answer is YES.
A picosecond

Sync3 starts booting the moment you unlock the doors with the fob. I’m pretty sure the fuel pump in my truck spins for half a second the moment I pull the door handle.

Ford, with the 4.6 in the early 90s, started requiring four complete revolutions during cranking before allowing fuel. Believe this was a cam/ crank sensor sync thing but they also wanted oil pressure to come up. Am pretty sure most are like this now, except the start-stop cars when warm in traffic.

Some 1980s injected cars caught with fewer cranks-- the 460 in my 1990 motorhome is great, particularly when warm. And of course a carbureted car can start nearly instantly when the stars are aligned.

PCMs are fast enough, with enough sensor resolution, to detect which cylinder is misfiring based on a temporary reduction in rotation speed. I think that's faster than the fastest key turning operator.

That's odd. Neither my 2003 or 2005 do. The fuel pressure regulator on my 03 went out last year and I'd put it in the on position for a while and it would still crank and crank before starting. I wonder if they added that in 2005.

Both your '03 & '05 primes the fuel system, In fact most ALL injected gasoline GM product do. I was playing with the Tune on my dads '17 LT1 6.2L powered '72 Cutlass & you can change the prime from 2 seconds to whatever you want.

I'm not so sure about these ECU's processing, "millions of things per second". If my 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee sits for several days to a week without being run, it sometimes will start without the screen booting up. Others on the various Jeep forums have had this issue as well.

This can be remedied by pressing the "START" button twice with my foot off the brake pedal. This allows for all of this electronic crap, (including the screen), to boot up without starting the engine. (The same as turning the key to "ON", waiting, then cranking the engine).

(It also allows the fuel pump to prime the engine). Then, after a few seconds I depress the brake, press it again, and everything starts and boots up normally without issues.

In some of the commercial trucks with the Allison Transmission push button selector, you have to key on for a second for the TCM to send the neutral start signal to the BCM to enable the starter.

I'm not so sure about these ECU's processing, "millions of things per second". If my 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee sits for several days to a week without being run, it sometimes will start without the screen booting up. Others on the various Jeep forums have had this issue as well.

This can be remedied by pressing the "START" button twice with my foot off the brake pedal. This allows for all of this electronic crap, (including the screen), to boot up without starting the engine. (The same as turning the key to "ON", waiting, then cranking the engine).

(It also allows the fuel pump to prime the engine). Then, after a few seconds I depress the brake, press it again, and everything starts and boots up normally without issues.
Why would you doubt ECU's aren't able to process millions of things per second? You do realize they have some horsepower in modern embedded processors.
Some go to a deep sleep mode now when not started for a while to save the battery, but that sounds like crappy software. Maybe that is why your screen doesn't come up?

Back