Patio cover structural concerns

If you confirmed that it is a monolithic slab that is a good start. It should have a thickened edge of 12 inches that tapers to 4 inches. You can dig down at the edge and measure it. The next thing is connections on the posts. You should have a substantial connection between slab and post, then post to beam. The posts should be 6x6. I typically use Simpson connector with a 1 inch rise at the base. The j-bolt is poured with the concrete and that connector ties the base in for uplift. You would use a strap connector from post to beam.

I hate seeing stuff like this!

018.JPG

025.JPG

015.JPG

Attaching some photos for reference when I built my detached garage. This scenario is pretty consistent with your application except for roof to wall which for the time being will assume is wrong too. You can see when I did the post to slab I used Simpson connector that gives you a 1" lift off slab. This connection uses a 8 inch j-bolt to plate. I then used a connector for post to beam and beam to wall. This is a start.

I will assume connection points are not correct at the house. The posts inside are a start but I would pay attention to wall surfaces on the inside of the house. Look at the baseboard, floor finishes, and drywall. See if they have any indication of a moisture problem.

Your concerns are valid and the good news it can be corrected.

Amkeer, I wish you weren't in Florida. I'd love to pay you for some of your time to help me correct my issues. So far, no signs of water ingress in the house. I'm certain the slab is not 12" on the edges. My addition was probably done by half-ass, fly by night contractors. I really don't want to put more money into it as there are other things that will need attention. How come the home inspector didn't mention any of this? I feel somewhat duped.

You have a very nice and sweet house. I’m curious about how it looks inside, but I think it’s super cozy.

Amkeer, I wish you weren't in Florida. I'd love to pay you for some of your time to help me correct my issues. So far, no signs of water ingress in the house. I'm certain the slab is not 12" on the edges. My addition was probably done by half-***, fly by night contractors. I really don't want to put more money into it as there are other things that will need attention. How come the home inspector didn't mention any of this? I feel somewhat duped.
Many home inspectors are a joke. When my wife had her townhome inspected before I met her, the home inspector stuck his head in the attic for 3 seconds, never opened the electrical panel and didnt realize all the windows were missing screens. You’re better off hiring a carpenter, plumber, HVAC and electrician to look things over.

You have a very nice and sweet house. I’m curious about how it looks inside, but I think it’s super cozy.
Actually, my friend from https://carportaustralia.com.au/cantilever-carport/ has a similar one. He’s lucky to work as a carport installer, so he made one for his house. I have no photos of it, but you can look through similar carport photos on the website above. I guess it was a really good decision. Btw, man, we’ve not heard from you for about 2 years. Please, keep us updated on your patio. Personally, I’m very curious about the result. Thanks in advance!

Patio cover is fine with the added columns.

I'd be more concerned with termites with the way your clapboard is almost in contact with your lawn.....

Back