Remove patio cover post, go from 4 to 3 posts

30' long by 9' wide patio cover. One half supported by the outer wall of the house, the other half has 4 posts. Posts are sitting on 12"x12" footings. Using the standard weights for plywood, drywall (ceiling), cement roof tiles (Arizona home), the total weight of the patio cover/supports is ~5,100lbs (no snow in Phoenix), 2,550lbs would therefore be supported on the side connected to the outer wall of the home. Including the existing LVL beam (10x3") and the posts themselves (framed stucco), the 4 existing posts (10 feet apart) would support ~ 3,000 lbs.

Now, I want to remove the post that is 2nd in from the right. I believe I can put two 3/8" X 9" steel plates on each side of the existing LVL beam over a section that would now be 20' wide between posts. I would have the steel fabricator place bolt holes approx. 16" apart along the beam, then run 1/2" bolts through the outer plates and LVL beam.....around 15 total bolts across this 20 foot section. Accounting for the weight of the steel plates, this means these three posts will now support ~3,300 lbs.

So does the centermost post (it remains on the left side of the patio cover) take more of the weight or is it simply now 1,100 lbs for each post? Or is it more liked 900lbs for the 2 remaining outer posts and 1,500 for the 1 remaining center/left-center post? It would seem like all existing 12x12" footings would be just fine for the added weight of the steel plates and the removal of 1 of the posts (from 4 to 3). Thoughts? Thank you

patio_cover.jpg
12x12_footing.jpg

I might be tempted to leave that be.
You're no fun! I know, but God it is a pain to have that post there. We have a nice TV up on that wall but cannot organize our furniture in a good way with that post there. Would be so nice & roomy without that post there

Back