Updated Gen 3/4 LSx driver valve cover on the Suburban today (w/ pic)

Replaced the driver side valve cover on the 2005 Suburban today. During its usual oil change interval, it would consume about a 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart of oil. Figured it was time to put a revised valve cover on. Sure enough, the valve cover was original and had the old PCV design.

I went ahead and installed an updated Dorman cover. Price was about $60, where as a GM one was at the time going to run me $140. Figured it’s simple enough to at least give the Dorman one a try.

Snapped this picture of the valve train while the cover was off. For 230k, I think this looks gorgeous. This would be the dirtier side as well. I would be well inclined to say that this truck had a decent interval throughout its lifetime. Since we have owned it, I have stuck to a 3-5k interval of Mobil 1 EP, Valvoline Conventional, Rotella Gas Truck and Rotella T4.

IMG_2599.jpeg

What a good little 5.3. Love this truck.

GM has done well with their V8's but that's what you'd expect to get at least 200k+ out of them. Looks like some surface varnish though?
I see where the local mice have been serving their dinner. :ROFLMAO:

I don't think much oil gets to the rockers on pushrod engines, gm pushrod I've opened looks like that

Replaced the driver side valve cover on the 2005 Suburban today. During its usual oil change interval, it would consume about a 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart of oil. Figured it was time to put a revised valve cover on. Sure enough, the valve cover was original and had the old PCV design.

I went ahead and installed an updated Dorman cover. Price was about $60, where as a GM one was at the time going to run me $140. Figured it’s simple enough to at least give the Dorman one a try.

Snapped this picture of the valve train while the cover was off. For 230k, I think this looks gorgeous. This would be the dirtier side as well. I would be well inclined to say that this truck had a decent interval throughout its lifetime. Since we have owned it, I have stuck to a 3-5k interval of Mobil 1 EP, Valvoline Conventional, Rotella Gas Truck and Rotella T4.

View attachment 186911

What a good little 5.3. Love this truck.
For comparison, this was mine when I did it 2 years ago. I did the same intervals as you with full synthetic, but previously it was conventional every 3-4k miles and prior to that whenever the olm went off. My PCV was completely plugged and it would fill my catch can with oil after a few hundred miles of driving.

Attachments

• IMG_20211030_135036.jpg
    IMG_20211030_135036.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20211030_135105.jpg
    IMG_20211030_135105.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20211030_125410.jpg
    IMG_20211030_125410.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 32
I’ve considered pulling the drivers side valve cover on my 2005 5.3 and maybe preemptively replacing it with the updated version just because. Mine is down about 1/2 qt at 5,000 miles so I’m thinking I don’t have a problem…yet. With 242,000 miles on mine, I’m hoping it looks as good as yours . I agree, the GM 5.3 is an amazing little engine! (y)

I’ve considered pulling the drivers side valve cover on my 2005 5.3 and maybe preemptively replacing it with the updated version just because. Mine is down about 1/2 qt at 5,000 miles so I’m thinking I don’t have a problem…yet. With 242,000 miles on mine, I’m hoping it looks as good as yours . I agree, the GM 5.3 is an amazing little engine! (y)
Sure is. On my Tahoe with about 130k on a 6.0 LQ4 that is cammed… I use no noticeable oil over an oil change.

I don’t annihilate the truck, but it does it driven hard and used like a truck.

I have had this updated cover on it. I think it this cover might even make your 1/2 quart go to 0.

Back