Passivate your stainless truck after washing ?

What are they using, 202?

EDIT: 300 series steel. Not great. Maybe ELMAX. Put a DLC coating on it.😛

Last edited:
some ytber was using windex and some other product. Seems to be normal iron fallout that is more apparent on a stainless steel body.

The problem with s/s is that not all grades offer the whole list of advantages ... Like most things in life, it's a trade off:

- s/s that can be formed/shaped with reasonable efforts, and takes that forming without developing major cracks, offers not much resistance to corrosion

- s/s that offers fantastic corrosion protection won't form well (won't bend or can't be stamped into shapes easily without cracking); these very corrosion resistant steels are very hard and "nearly brittle" (not like glass, but it does not tolerate much movement in use or deformation in production)

To make the body panels, these are stamped into shape. To do this without cracking, and more importantly not crack while in use (bouncing around streets and off-roading), the s/s has to be fairly soft, and therefore the vehicle is gonna rust fairly easily.

The DeLorean was made from 304 snd I have never seen one with rust, including cruddy ones. 304 is used for cheap watches and does corrode if the chloride content in the water is high.

Generally speaking, some stainless steels are susceptible to corrosion post-weld because as the temperature of the HAZ cools, the chromium (which provides the corrosion resistant property) and carbon, alloy to made chromium carbide. This leaves a chromium deficient area near the HAZ. Using a low carbon stainless in most cases will prevent this chromium deficient area.

Not saying this is what is happening with the Cybertruck.

I guess they should have used some 904L like Rolex.

Most watches use 316L, but I don't know enough about the different grades of stainless. All my experience with stainless is with watches.

Generally speaking, some stainless steels are susceptible to corrosion post-weld because as the temperature of the HAZ cools, the chromium (which provides the corrosion resistant property) and carbon, alloy to made chromium carbide. This leaves a chromium deficient area near the HAZ. Using a low carbon stainless in most cases will prevent this chromium deficient area.

Not saying this is what is happening with the Cybertruck.
How is Tesla welding these things together? There were a number of articles early on that discussed different types but I haven't seen any info come out on that.

Back