Paper cone

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this has been discussed in the past but I've searched and haven't really found anything good. I am looking for a paper cone that has a 3.5" inlet diameter and is about the size of a standard K&N cone (I know they come in various sizes) that would be used on a 1995 Camaro Z28 (275hp stock, if that helps). I was thinking about rigging up a cheap PVC intake and I am 100% sure I do not want a K&N or any other oiled filter. Please help!

To me I don't think that's enough flow.

Here's some flow testing from another site.

CFM using 1 inch of vacuum
(higher numbers indicate more flow)
238 5" of straight 4" PCV
220 26" of straight 4" PVC
183 Above tube with added 90 deg bend
205 9" long 4" inlet dirty K&N filter
227 9" long 4" inlet clean K&N
181 7" long 3.5" inlet clean K&N
168 LS6 MAF with screen in
191 LS6 MAF w/o screen
159 26" PVC, 90 deg bend, LS6 MAF (no screen), 9" K&N
94 Stock GT TB with screen
104 Stock GT TB w/o screen
107 Stock GTP TB with screen
119 Stock GTP TB w/o screen
123 S1 GT HVTB w/o screen
138 S1 GTP HVTB w/o screen

It's fairly well know that paper air filters flow less than a K&N so we can assume that this filter you listed would flow less than the 3.5" inlet K&N.
Which means it could be a bit of added restriction on a high horsepower V8 since it would flow maybe a little less then a LS6 MAF. And since the idea of an aftermarket intake is to eliminate as much restriction as possible, I'd stick with a 4" K&N.

-T

Sounds like a need a bigger paper cone then to do the same job a smaller K&N would do. I think my MAF is 3.5" which is why I figured I'd go with a 3.5" inlet filter...

FWIW, the way an engine sucks air through a tube is NOT the same as pumping air through with a fan or compressor. An engine is an airpump, yes, but there are pulses, and so there are waves and reversions and all that good stuff. A 90* bend that slows down air in a bench test may NOT do so when this is applied to an actual car/engine. Thus, these need to be taken with a grain of salt.

[ July 23, 2004, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: kevm14 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back